Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

temperature per node of the mesh

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello, My major is nanoscale heat transfer.

I'm studying the heat transfer by implementing the transistor in 2D simulation through COMSOL.

However, I have questions during my study.

Is it possible to know the corresponding temperature per node of the mesh in COMSOL?

For example, in the case of free triangle mesh, can I know the temperature per corner of each triangle?

2 Replies Last Post Jan 3, 2019, 10:59 a.m. EST
Lars Gregersen COMSOL Employee

Posted: 5 years ago Jan 3, 2019, 8:41 a.m. EST

In post processing you have access to the Eval node. It is only available in the API (so there is no GUi for it).

If you have access to LiveLink for Matlab you can use the mpheval function.

For more info see the Programming Reference Manual.

-------------------
Lars Gregersen
Comsol Denmark
In post processing you have access to the Eval node. It is only available in the API (so there is no GUi for it). If you have access to LiveLink for Matlab you can use the mpheval function. For more info see the Programming Reference Manual.

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 5 years ago Jan 3, 2019, 10:59 a.m. EST
Updated: 5 years ago Jan 3, 2019, 11:14 a.m. EST

Hello Song,

Your question about getting the solution at mesh nodes makes me wonder whether there is a fundamental reason you need the solution there as opposed to any other location. Mesh node location is often an artefact of the meshing process and those locations rarely hold physical meaning. Some FEA packages only give you access to the solution at nodes and as a result sometimes COMSOL users end up thinking that that's true of COMSOL as well. But in fact COMSOL can give you access to the solution at any point in the geometry that you specify by its coordinates. For instance, you can create a cut point data set at the coordinates of your choice and then in the Derived Values section of the model tree do a Point Evaluation based on that data set. The result of the evaluation gets displayed in a table located by default below the Graphics window.

Best,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Song, Your question about getting the solution at mesh nodes makes me wonder whether there is a fundamental reason you need the solution there as opposed to any other location. Mesh node location is often an artefact of the meshing process and those locations rarely hold physical meaning. Some FEA packages only give you access to the solution at nodes and as a result sometimes COMSOL users end up thinking that that's true of COMSOL as well. But in fact COMSOL can give you access to the solution at any point in the geometry that you specify by its coordinates. For instance, you can create a cut point data set at the coordinates of your choice and then in the Derived Values section of the model tree do a Point Evaluation based on that data set. The result of the evaluation gets displayed in a table located by default below the Graphics window. Best, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.