Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

what does the "exclude algebraic" error estimation option do?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm working on a time dependent convection-diffusion simulation. The Peclet number is 10^3 to 10^4. The maximum Reynolds number is ~100. The solution tends to diverge at a point where the input velocity increases. The solver starts lowering the time step as it should, but then gives up lowering the time step and quits with an error. I can get the solution to converge nicely by lowering the velocity while keeping the Peclet number constant (decreasing the diffusion coefficient). Or I can get convergence if I check the "exclude algebraic" in the error estimation under the advanced solver settings. The solution with the "exclude algebraic" setting looks good and shows some finite Re effects that I don't want to suppress by artificially lowering the Re number. However, I'm not really sure what the "exclude algebraic" setting does and I'm concerned I might be introducing some error into my solution. I've tried to find an explanation of this option in the documentation without much luck. Can anyone point me to some documentation or explain what this option does?

1 Reply Last Post May 16, 2013, 1:46 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Josh Molho

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago May 16, 2013, 1:46 a.m. EDT
Hallo,

I would like to put this message back on top of the discussion fourm.

I am facing similar effects in the AC/DC module when modelling a
time dependent rotating machine with external circuit. The time
steps decreases until no-convergence is detected. But none
of the dofs shows a singularity at the respective time. When
I switch to "exclude algebraic" time stepping remains calm.
The solution looks fine but am I missing something? Are the
algebraic equation (ie external circuit) solved at all, or
simply not considered when updating the time step?

Any other experiences?

Regards

Jens
Hallo, I would like to put this message back on top of the discussion fourm. I am facing similar effects in the AC/DC module when modelling a time dependent rotating machine with external circuit. The time steps decreases until no-convergence is detected. But none of the dofs shows a singularity at the respective time. When I switch to "exclude algebraic" time stepping remains calm. The solution looks fine but am I missing something? Are the algebraic equation (ie external circuit) solved at all, or simply not considered when updating the time step? Any other experiences? Regards Jens

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.