Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Importing a file from AutoCAD to COMSOL

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have created a 3D building model on AutoCAD and wish to import it to COMSOL for CFD analysis. Can I know the process for importing?

20 Replies Last Post Jan 20, 2016, 11:45 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 21, 2013, 5:22 a.m. EST
Hi

if you have the CAD interface, you can lopen the file in autocad or paraSoid, or STEP or .. format, check the main web site for the CAD file formats. For V4 you have the livelink approach too

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if you have the CAD interface, you can lopen the file in autocad or paraSoid, or STEP or .. format, check the main web site for the CAD file formats. For V4 you have the livelink approach too -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 21, 2013, 5:44 a.m. EST

Hi

if you have the CAD interface, you can lopen the file in autocad or paraSoid, or STEP or .. format, check the main web site for the CAD file formats. For V4 you have the livelink approach too

--
Good luck
Ivar

Sir,

AutoCAD 2010 is showing options for exporting files in .dwf, .dwfx, .sat, .stl, .eps, .dxx, .bmp, .dwg and .bgn. I am not able to find any compatible extensions for COMSOL. Can you help me out please??
[QUOTE] Hi if you have the CAD interface, you can lopen the file in autocad or paraSoid, or STEP or .. format, check the main web site for the CAD file formats. For V4 you have the livelink approach too -- Good luck Ivar [/QUOTE] Sir, AutoCAD 2010 is showing options for exporting files in .dwf, .dwfx, .sat, .stl, .eps, .dxx, .bmp, .dwg and .bgn. I am not able to find any compatible extensions for COMSOL. Can you help me out please??

Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 21, 2013, 9:07 a.m. EST
Nithin,

I don’t think any of the basic AutoCAD export formats are suitable. You need Autodesk Inventor instead which exports to IGES, STEP and Parasolid formats.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Nithin, I don’t think any of the basic AutoCAD export formats are suitable. You need Autodesk Inventor instead which exports to IGES, STEP and Parasolid formats. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 21, 2013, 10:33 a.m. EST

Nithin,

I don’t think any of the basic AutoCAD export formats are suitable. You need Autodesk Inventor instead which exports to IGES, STEP and Parasolid formats.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering

Sir,

For using Autodesk Inventor, should I create my model again on Inventor or is there any method for exporting my AutoCAD model to Inventor so that I can get IGES or STEP format files.
[QUOTE] Nithin, I don’t think any of the basic AutoCAD export formats are suitable. You need Autodesk Inventor instead which exports to IGES, STEP and Parasolid formats. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering [/QUOTE] Sir, For using Autodesk Inventor, should I create my model again on Inventor or is there any method for exporting my AutoCAD model to Inventor so that I can get IGES or STEP format files.

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 21, 2013, 10:39 a.m. EST
I believe Inventor can import AutoCAD models.

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 21, 2013, 10:46 a.m. EST

Thank you sir, I request you to answer one more query of mine.
Since, we have Pro-E in availability, is it okay if I export my AutoCAD file to Pro-E and import it in COMSOL's requirements. Or, is there any specific process I have to follow that I should use only Inventor?

And, I came to know that we can export .dwg files from AutoCAD directly to COMSOL using LiveLink, is it possible? Where can I get LiveLink from??
[QUOTE] I believe Inventor can import AutoCAD models. [/QUOTE] Thank you sir, I request you to answer one more query of mine. Since, we have Pro-E in availability, is it okay if I export my AutoCAD file to Pro-E and import it in COMSOL's requirements. Or, is there any specific process I have to follow that I should use only Inventor? And, I came to know that we can export .dwg files from AutoCAD directly to COMSOL using LiveLink, is it possible? Where can I get LiveLink from??

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 21, 2013, 11:10 a.m. EST
Yes if you have Pro-E or other programs like SolidWorks I believe they can import AutoCAD models as well, and export them in formats suitable for COMSOL. The LiveLink for AutoCAD product as you noted is another option. It is developed by COMSOL.
Yes if you have Pro-E or other programs like SolidWorks I believe they can import AutoCAD models as well, and export them in formats suitable for COMSOL. The LiveLink for AutoCAD product as you noted is another option. It is developed by COMSOL.

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 21, 2013, 11:28 a.m. EST

Is there any LiveLink extension exist with COMSOL 3.4, sir??
[QUOTE] Yes if you have Pro-E or other programs like SolidWorks I believe they can import AutoCAD models as well, and export them in formats suitable for COMSOL. The LiveLink for AutoCAD product as you noted is another option. It is developed by COMSOL. [/QUOTE] Is there any LiveLink extension exist with COMSOL 3.4, sir??

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 21, 2013, 11:51 a.m. EST
I don't think so.
I don't think so.

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 23, 2013, 3:37 a.m. EST
Sir...

I was trying to open 3D dwg file in Autodesk Inventor for exporting it to COMSOL. But, I am not able to get my whole drawing in the inventor part mode. Can I know what is the reason for that? Help me out with the way for changing a 3d dwg file to a COMSOL 3.4 compatible file through inventor without loosing any data, please.
Sir... I was trying to open 3D dwg file in Autodesk Inventor for exporting it to COMSOL. But, I am not able to get my whole drawing in the inventor part mode. Can I know what is the reason for that? Help me out with the way for changing a 3d dwg file to a COMSOL 3.4 compatible file through inventor without loosing any data, please.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 23, 2013, 1:02 p.m. EST
Hi

if I remeber well 3.4 & 3.5 accepted only dxf files from Inventor for 2D, there were some way to extrude 2D to 3D if I remeber correctly.

You are better off with a newer COMSOl version, but I do understand that everyone cannot purchase newer version, Ech 5 years it's worth to get a newer version, this also corresponds to the amount you would pay for standard maintenance, therefore, managers do always "save money" by omitting maitenance contracts for such programmes

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if I remeber well 3.4 & 3.5 accepted only dxf files from Inventor for 2D, there were some way to extrude 2D to 3D if I remeber correctly. You are better off with a newer COMSOl version, but I do understand that everyone cannot purchase newer version, Ech 5 years it's worth to get a newer version, this also corresponds to the amount you would pay for standard maintenance, therefore, managers do always "save money" by omitting maitenance contracts for such programmes -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 23, 2013, 9:48 p.m. EST

Hi

if I remeber well 3.4 & 3.5 accepted only dxf files from Inventor for 2D, there were some way to extrude 2D to 3D if I remeber correctly.

You are better off with a newer COMSOl version, but I do understand that everyone cannot purchase newer version, Ech 5 years it's worth to get a newer version, this also corresponds to the amount you would pay for standard maintenance, therefore, managers do always "save money" by omitting maitenance contracts for such programmes

--
Good luck
Ivar

Thank You Ivar.. I have got the license for COMSOL 4.3a but I was unable to find any option to import a 3d dwg file into it. Can you let me know the procedure for importing a 3d dwg file in COMSOL 4.3a? I am in need of a direct import to COMSOL 4.3a since the the Inventor is not able to read my dwg file and is not displaying as expected.
[QUOTE] Hi if I remeber well 3.4 & 3.5 accepted only dxf files from Inventor for 2D, there were some way to extrude 2D to 3D if I remeber correctly. You are better off with a newer COMSOl version, but I do understand that everyone cannot purchase newer version, Ech 5 years it's worth to get a newer version, this also corresponds to the amount you would pay for standard maintenance, therefore, managers do always "save money" by omitting maitenance contracts for such programmes -- Good luck Ivar [/QUOTE] Thank You Ivar.. I have got the license for COMSOL 4.3a but I was unable to find any option to import a 3d dwg file into it. Can you let me know the procedure for importing a 3d dwg file in COMSOL 4.3a? I am in need of a direct import to COMSOL 4.3a since the the Inventor is not able to read my dwg file and is not displaying as expected.

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 24, 2013, 1:44 a.m. EST
Hi

I'm not sure as I do not use dwg files, I do not like the dxf/dwg format as in the early days they was really not very stable and topology compatible (but they were of the first to be openly accessed, therefore their popularity). I prefer to dump my files into a more stable 3D format such as STEP, or some of the proprietary Parasolid, ACIS ...

Can you save your file as a STEP ? try that

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I'm not sure as I do not use dwg files, I do not like the dxf/dwg format as in the early days they was really not very stable and topology compatible (but they were of the first to be openly accessed, therefore their popularity). I prefer to dump my files into a more stable 3D format such as STEP, or some of the proprietary Parasolid, ACIS ... Can you save your file as a STEP ? try that -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 24, 2013, 3:25 a.m. EST

Hi

I'm not sure as I do not use dwg files, I do not like the dxf/dwg format as in the early days they was really not very stable and topology compatible (but they were of the first to be openly accessed, therefore their popularity). I prefer to dump my files into a more stable 3D format such as STEP, or some of the proprietary Parasolid, ACIS ...

--
Good luck
Ivar

Sir,

I can see only dwf, dwfx, wmf, sat, stl, eps, bmp, dxf, dgn, dxx for exporting my 3d dwg file from AutoCAD 2010. Can you help me out which one I can use for opening in COMSOL 4.3a??
[QUOTE] Hi I'm not sure as I do not use dwg files, I do not like the dxf/dwg format as in the early days they was really not very stable and topology compatible (but they were of the first to be openly accessed, therefore their popularity). I prefer to dump my files into a more stable 3D format such as STEP, or some of the proprietary Parasolid, ACIS ... Can you save your file as a STEP ? try that -- Good luck Ivar [/QUOTE] Sir, I can see only dwf, dwfx, wmf, sat, stl, eps, bmp, dxf, dgn, dxx for exporting my 3d dwg file from AutoCAD 2010. Can you help me out which one I can use for opening in COMSOL 4.3a??

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 24, 2013, 5:42 a.m. EST
Hi

I can import, with the CAD tool on CM4.3 STEP, Parasolid, STEP, pro/E Catia, Iges ... and other, so fro your list I would try with "sat"

get the "import" node into the geometry section and look at the files extension it accepts to open

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I can import, with the CAD tool on CM4.3 STEP, Parasolid, STEP, pro/E Catia, Iges ... and other, so fro your list I would try with "sat" get the "import" node into the geometry section and look at the files extension it accepts to open -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 24, 2013, 8:04 a.m. EST
If you can, get LiveLink for AutoCAD from COMSOL. I believe it imports DXF directly.
If you can, get LiveLink for AutoCAD from COMSOL. I believe it imports DXF directly.

Posted: 9 years ago Feb 16, 2015, 12:44 p.m. EST
Probably you have solved the problem already, but in case not: autocad can export designs to .iges
.iges cad files can be imported into autocad
Probably you have solved the problem already, but in case not: autocad can export designs to .iges .iges cad files can be imported into autocad

Posted: 8 years ago Jan 19, 2016, 3:48 a.m. EST

Hi

--
Good luck
Ivar

Hi,

I dont want to open a new topic about same problem. I also have tons of stuff in Inventor, sadly the import from .STEP format files aren't supported. At least not in version 5.0. And .STL conversion is seems completely wierd, with very low precision and geometry degradation observable via naked eye. Sadly the modules for importing [LiveLink] costs are prety high and the 3D environment in Comsol driving me driving me crazy.

I would be happy to find out "the correct way" at least for single object transfer.

Thanks a lot
Lukas
[QUOTE] Hi I'm not sure as I do not use dwg files, I do not like the dxf/dwg format as in the early days they was really not very stable and topology compatible (but they were of the first to be openly accessed, therefore their popularity). I prefer to dump my files into a more stable 3D format such as STEP, or some of the proprietary Parasolid, ACIS ... Can you save your file as a STEP ? try that -- Good luck Ivar [/QUOTE] Hi, I dont want to open a new topic about same problem. I also have tons of stuff in Inventor, sadly the import from .STEP format files aren't supported. At least not in version 5.0. And .STL conversion is seems completely wierd, with very low precision and geometry degradation observable via naked eye. Sadly the modules for importing [LiveLink] costs are prety high and the 3D environment in Comsol driving me driving me crazy. I would be happy to find out "the correct way" at least for single object transfer. Thanks a lot Lukas

Walter Frei COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago Jan 20, 2016, 10:26 a.m. EST
Dear Lukas,

You can import STEP files with any one of the LiveLink products, the CAD Import Module, or the Design Module. For complete CAD file data exchange capabilities, please see:
www.comsol.com/products/specifications/cad/
You may also find this article helpful:
www.comsol.com/blogs/which-module-should-i-choose-for-working-with-my-cad-data/

With respect to STL file import: We do strongly encourage you to upgrade to COMSOL version 5.2. There have been some significant improvements in STL file import capabilities as exemplified by this new example:
www.comsol.com/model/from-surface-mesh-to-geometry-stl-import-of-a-vertebra-30951

Best Regards,
Dear Lukas, You can import STEP files with any one of the LiveLink products, the CAD Import Module, or the Design Module. For complete CAD file data exchange capabilities, please see: http://www.comsol.com/products/specifications/cad/ You may also find this article helpful: http://www.comsol.com/blogs/which-module-should-i-choose-for-working-with-my-cad-data/ With respect to STL file import: We do strongly encourage you to upgrade to COMSOL version 5.2. There have been some significant improvements in STL file import capabilities as exemplified by this new example: http://www.comsol.com/model/from-surface-mesh-to-geometry-stl-import-of-a-vertebra-30951 Best Regards,

Posted: 8 years ago Jan 20, 2016, 11:45 a.m. EST
Dear Walter,

we actualy have 5.2, I already tried to import it also there. Acutaly the result was even worse than in 5.0.
Maybe it was just my bad and i did some mistake in selected option.

Thanks for all links, I would try to do it again.

"You can import STEP files with any one of the LiveLink products, the CAD Import Module, or the Design Module" There is a bit problem for me. I working in academic environment and purchase the LiveLink just for me because i am friendly to use another CAD software to design is too fancy.
I didin't know about the other two possibilities. Maybe we have some of these in-house.

Thanks a lot and Best regards,
Lukas

EDIT: Sadly we dont have either of them, but any of these acording the information should work perfectly for me.
Dear Walter, we actualy have 5.2, I already tried to import it also there. Acutaly the result was even worse than in 5.0. Maybe it was just my bad and i did some mistake in selected option. Thanks for all links, I would try to do it again. "You can import STEP files with any one of the LiveLink products, the CAD Import Module, or the Design Module" There is a bit problem for me. I working in academic environment and purchase the LiveLink just for me because i am friendly to use another CAD software to design is too fancy. I didin't know about the other two possibilities. Maybe we have some of these in-house. Thanks a lot and Best regards, Lukas EDIT: Sadly we dont have either of them, but any of these acording the information should work perfectly for me.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.