Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

mass matrix is zero

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

While solving 1D Helmholtz equation with eigenvalue solver, I am receiving "mass matrix is zero" error. How can I correct it? In my equation setup coefficients "c" and "a" are non-zero and rest are zero.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Susant

1 Reply Last Post Jun 19, 2012, 5:53 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Susant Patra

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 19, 2012, 5:53 p.m. EDT
The short answer is not to use the "Helmholtz Eqn" option when setting up a model. It makes too many assumptions about how you want to reach a solution and it imposes the need to define a mass matrix despite the fact that an eigenvalue problem may or may not have a mass matrix.

The easy fix it to start the model in "PDE Coefficient" mode and simply set the parameters up to be the same as the Helmholtz Eqn. This will work and it won't complain about a "mass matrix".

Good Luck.

-Kevin
The short answer is not to use the "Helmholtz Eqn" option when setting up a model. It makes too many assumptions about how you want to reach a solution and it imposes the need to define a mass matrix despite the fact that an eigenvalue problem may or may not have a mass matrix. The easy fix it to start the model in "PDE Coefficient" mode and simply set the parameters up to be the same as the Helmholtz Eqn. This will work and it won't complain about a "mass matrix". Good Luck. -Kevin

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.