Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Incident intensity boundary condition (Radiation in participating media).

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I am having troubles in setting the correct value of the incident intensity in a "radiation in participating media" problem using a 3D geometry.

When I set a precise value of the incident radiation and I run the simulation, after having the results and plotting the incident radiation curve (over the axial direction in the volume) in order to see the influence of absorption and scattering parameters, I see that the curve starts from a value of irradiation which is different from the one I set as a boundary.

eg. 650000 W/m2 as boundary value, the curve starts from 1.6e6 w/m2 as initial value.

thank you in advance for the help and regards,

Raffaele Capuano

1 Reply Last Post Jun 19, 2017, 4:47 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Raffaele.Capuano.DLR

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 7 years ago Jun 19, 2017, 4:47 a.m. EDT
Hi
For radiation intensity you should specify a number in unit of W/m2.sr. it means you should divide your intensity by degree in radian which is solid angle of your boundary.
Good luck
Hi For radiation intensity you should specify a number in unit of W/m2.sr. it means you should divide your intensity by degree in radian which is solid angle of your boundary. Good luck

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.