Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

COMSOL 4.0a : how to set maximum Java heap size??

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I have problem to set comsol java heap.
In v3.5a, I know I can modify java heap in comsol.opts.
But in v4.0a, I can't find the comsol.opts, and I have no idea about setting the java heap.
Please give me help~~~
THX~

5 Replies Last Post Apr 9, 2014, 1:47 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Hsiang-An Chan

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 27, 2011, 9:26 a.m. EDT
Hi
After obtaining for 3 days the error "compile equations; error in multiphysics compilation" I understood I had to increase the heap space
In 4.2 I did this

C:\COMSOL42\bin\win64
in comsol.ini and comsolserver.ini I set the following

-Xss30m
-Xms200m
-Xmx4024m
-XX:MaxPermSize=900m

the real issue is the 3rd one, that makes the difference
Hi After obtaining for 3 days the error "compile equations; error in multiphysics compilation" I understood I had to increase the heap space In 4.2 I did this C:\COMSOL42\bin\win64 in comsol.ini and comsolserver.ini I set the following -Xss30m -Xms200m -Xmx4024m -XX:MaxPermSize=900m the real issue is the 3rd one, that makes the difference

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 17, 2011, 9:58 p.m. EDT
i believe java heap space size can be set depending upon the ram on the computer. I have set it xmx750m (i.e. 750 mb) as I have 3 gb of ram. i calculated this size by diving the ram amount by 4. However i still have the error. if
i try to increase the size, the execution of the model itself fails and further increasing it makes the matlab-comsol interface to shut down. I think presently the only way is to either increase the ram or decreese the no of nodes or timestep!
i believe java heap space size can be set depending upon the ram on the computer. I have set it xmx750m (i.e. 750 mb) as I have 3 gb of ram. i calculated this size by diving the ram amount by 4. However i still have the error. if i try to increase the size, the execution of the model itself fails and further increasing it makes the matlab-comsol interface to shut down. I think presently the only way is to either increase the ram or decreese the no of nodes or timestep!

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 19, 2011, 3:26 a.m. EDT
At present I have 8 gb of ram, 4 gb heap space (otherwise it wouldn't work, even with 3 gb!!!). I noticed though that the server needs less ram than the gui (2gb vs 4 gb).
In my opinion you should switch to a pc with more ram, if you can. 3 gb today are not enough. I feel also that a very fine mesh makes more problems than short time stepping.
Tha "fail" you talk about may also be that comsol solved the heap space problem and now somehing else came up. or it's the same error with a different name (like "compile equations error").
the shut down may be that the ram is almost full, but I never experienced this.
At present I have 8 gb of ram, 4 gb heap space (otherwise it wouldn't work, even with 3 gb!!!). I noticed though that the server needs less ram than the gui (2gb vs 4 gb). In my opinion you should switch to a pc with more ram, if you can. 3 gb today are not enough. I feel also that a very fine mesh makes more problems than short time stepping. Tha "fail" you talk about may also be that comsol solved the heap space problem and now somehing else came up. or it's the same error with a different name (like "compile equations error"). the shut down may be that the ram is almost full, but I never experienced this.

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 3, 2013, 6:05 p.m. EST
I'm playing around with these settings now that I've installed 4.3a on my desktop, sounds like you're on top of this:

I've got an i7 with 16Gb ram, and want to increase the allocated number of processors.

I've increased the Xmx to 4096 (4Gb) but for some reason I can't increase the allocated number of cores past 4, which is the default allocation. (I have seven, plus the root 8th).

I've tried in Comsol under preferences, I've tried the -np <number of processors> tag when running under windows (64bit, both windows AND comsol, although windowds doesn't like it; if someone knows how to make this work I'd be appreciative).

Anyone had success with increasing their cores past 4 like this? I'm working with a 3-d rf-thermal model coupling with massively fine meshes (can't use symmetry either) so I need all the power I can get!

Cheers

I'm playing around with these settings now that I've installed 4.3a on my desktop, sounds like you're on top of this: I've got an i7 with 16Gb ram, and want to increase the allocated number of processors. I've increased the Xmx to 4096 (4Gb) but for some reason I can't increase the allocated number of cores past 4, which is the default allocation. (I have seven, plus the root 8th). I've tried in Comsol under preferences, I've tried the -np tag when running under windows (64bit, both windows AND comsol, although windowds doesn't like it; if someone knows how to make this work I'd be appreciative). Anyone had success with increasing their cores past 4 like this? I'm working with a 3-d rf-thermal model coupling with massively fine meshes (can't use symmetry either) so I need all the power I can get! Cheers

Harinadha Reddy Digavinti

Posted: 10 years ago Apr 9, 2014, 1:47 a.m. EDT
When I am trying to do changes in comsol.ini and comsolsolver.ini, its saying "access denied " while saving.
please help
When I am trying to do changes in comsol.ini and comsolsolver.ini, its saying "access denied " while saving. please help

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.