Application Exchange

Simulation of surface acoustic wave sensors

D.W. Greve
DWGreve Consulting
Email:

SAW devices with a chemical-sensing overlayer provide for the selective sensing of particular gases. Sensing takes place due to electrical conductivity and mass density changes of the overlayer that change the propagation velocity of acoustic surface waves.

This model evaluates the change in eigenfrequency corresponding to a surface acoustic wave of a particular wavelength due to a conductive overlayer. The change in eigenfrequency is directly related to the change in velocity through c = f*lambda, where lambda is the wavelength.

Two models are attached. The first finds the eigenmodes corresponding to a surface wave propagating on a YZ-LiNbO3 substrate without a sensing layer. The second determines the effect of an overlayer of varying conductivity.

In this webinar, we will show how the COMSOL Multiphysics® software supports the design of SAW sensors by simulating the changes in the acoustic surface wave velocity due to changes in the overlayer. You will see a live demonstration of how to perform an eigenfrequency analysis of surface wave modes and derive the acoustic wave velocity, including how to specify model settings such as boundary conditions and material properties.

User Comments

Dec 17, 2018 at 11:32am UTC

Very helpful for my study on 3D SAW simulation! thanks

May 22, 2019 at 12:46pm UTC

thanks for the help of this document of my work

Jun 2, 2019 at 9:15am UTC

i have comsol.5 version. i am enable to open this files. what will i do?

Tyler Ren
Oct 15, 2019 at 7:19am UTC

Thank you!

Nov 18, 2019 at 8:02am UTC

Are there any materials about FBAR?I will very appreciate if you tell me the file's name.

Jan 2, 2020 at 3:46am UTC

Thanks

Jun 25, 2023 at 4:43am UTC

Hello everyone, I am currently working on saw based hydrogen gas simulation, on comsol?
kindly email me vishalmauryan2@gmail.com

Login to comment on this entry.