Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Poisson’s ratio and thermal expansion

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I have problem calculating strain due to thermal expansion. Consider a large rectangular plate under uniform temperature increase. The strain should be simply the value of thermal expansion multiply by value of temperature increase. However the result from modeling shows an added value to strain due Poisson’s ratio. This part of strain changes with Poisson’s ratio. I figured out this is due to very small value of stress (in the order of e-6) created by numerical errors. These very small values of stress are negligible. But they should not influence the result by activating Poisson’s ratio effect for thermal strain values. Is there any tolerance or limit in the software to avoid this problem? I appreciate any help or advise in this regard.

4 Replies Last Post Nov 18, 2016, 8:20 p.m. EST

Posted: 7 years ago Nov 16, 2016, 1:21 p.m. EST
From the numerical point of view, calculation shows that the Poisson’s ratio should be multiply to that portion of strain in another direction which is caused by mechanical load and not total strain in another direction.
From the numerical point of view, calculation shows that the Poisson’s ratio should be multiply to that portion of strain in another direction which is caused by mechanical load and not total strain in another direction.

Posted: 7 years ago Nov 17, 2016, 6:06 p.m. EST
Does any one know whether there is any solution for this problem?
Does any one know whether there is any solution for this problem?

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 7 years ago Nov 18, 2016, 1:34 a.m. EST
Hi,

I guess that you are running the simulation under plane strain conditions. Then the zero out-of-plane strain will cause an extra expansion in the other two directions, since a compressive out-of-plane stress is induced.

Your assumption of what will happen is relevant for only for plane stress.

Regards,
Henrik
Hi, I guess that you are running the simulation under plane strain conditions. Then the zero out-of-plane strain will cause an extra expansion in the other two directions, since a compressive out-of-plane stress is induced. Your assumption of what will happen is relevant for only for plane stress. Regards, Henrik

Posted: 7 years ago Nov 18, 2016, 8:20 p.m. EST
Dear Henrik,
You are right. It was great help. My calculation for plane stress and plane strain conditions confirms what you said and also the result of the software.
Thank you very much.
Best regards,
Reza
Dear Henrik, You are right. It was great help. My calculation for plane stress and plane strain conditions confirms what you said and also the result of the software. Thank you very much. Best regards, Reza

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.