Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Memory Problems with Magnetic Field Shielding Simulation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone,

I am working currently on a simulation designed to test the effectiveness of a magnetic shielding system. The simulation has the following elements:
• Simulation volume: cylinder with a diameter of 805 mm and a height of 1645 mm
• Magnetic dipole
• Two paramagnetic concentric cylindrical shells of height 470 mm, inner diameters of 85 mm and 92 mm respectively, and 0.5 mm thickness, with magnetic permeability mur = 250000
The dipole is the source of the field and the paramagnetic shells constitute the shielding system. The solver calculates the magnetic field in the entire simulation region. The problem does not have a rotation symmetry due to the chose dipole position and orientation.

The problem I am having is that the computer is running out of memory as I am conducting a mesh convergence test. In an attempt to solve this, I tried to roughly calculate how much memory on average an element would take in an attempt to calculate the ram I would need to run my simulations. I ran one test with 1.5e6 total domain elements and 8.5e6 degrees of freedom. This simulation seemed to peak at around 14-15 GB when the meshing was being created. That would mean that on average each tetrahedron would need around ~1000 bytes per degree of freedom.

I am confused as to why this number is so high per degree of freedom.

Any insight on this issue would be much appreciated,
Thank you

0 Replies Last Post Apr 17, 2017, 10:13 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Dinindu Gunasekara

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.