Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

An unconventional stress field prescribed by another physical interface

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

Generally, the stress field is determined by the boundary condition and the constitutive model within the interface. However, now I encounter an unconventional problem in which the stress field of the current solid mechanics interface (called S1) is mapped from the other solid mechanics interface (called S2) (NOT determined from the boundary condition). What I want to do is to estimate the volumetric strain, as well as the plastic behaviors through this mapped stress field and the current constitutive models. (It may be confused to understand this case. ) It means that the I want to use the prescribed stress field given by other physical interface (S2), and the constitutive model in the current interface (S1) to determine the volumetric strain of current model (S1). I think I should build two solid mechanical interface, one (S2) used to determine the stress field, the other (S1) to determine the volumetric strain. But I found that I cannot map the stress field created in S2 to the interface S1, because it seems that the stress field can only be determined by boundary condition.

How can I achieve the mapping and the calculation of the volumetric strain based on the prescribed stress field? Could you please give me some ideas about that? Thank you so much for your help.

Thank you for your help.

0 Replies Last Post Jul 28, 2017, 6:20 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Yu Zhang

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.