Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Modeling Piezoelectric Devices in 2D (Quartz)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello all,
I'm trying to model a AT-cut quartz in 2D. I have no problem working in 3D (similar to the thickness shear oscillator example: www.comsol.com/model/thickness-shear-mode-quartz-oscillator-4707), but something about the choices of coordinate systems in 2D is throwing me off.

In 3D i use a Euler angle (ZXZ) of (0,-54.75,0)[deg] with the LH IEEE 1978 material properties and my simulations have the desired results. In this simulation my quartz is a cylinder with the thickness in the global Z-direction, just like the previously mentioned example.

In moving to a 2D simulation, I want to capture the shear deformation that is in the X direction on a cross section of the crystal. I'm strugging getting the material orientation correct without use of the 3D Euler angles. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

2 Replies Last Post Aug 30, 2017, 8:29 a.m. EDT

Posted: 7 years ago Aug 29, 2017, 12:28 p.m. EDT
Hi there,

to my knowledge it is not possible orient the materials in 2D simulations.

Anyway, you could calculate the rotate tensors and create a new material.

Hi there, to my knowledge it is not possible orient the materials in 2D simulations. Anyway, you could calculate the rotate tensors and create a new material.

Posted: 7 years ago Aug 30, 2017, 8:29 a.m. EDT
I had thought that might be the only way to go about this. Thank you for your response
-Brandon
I had thought that might be the only way to go about this. Thank you for your response -Brandon

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.