Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Pressure on a surface with "Plane Wave Radiation" and "Incident Pressure Field"

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi, In a "Pressure Acoustics, Frequency Domain" problem, I defined a boundary condition of type "Plane Wave Radiation" and added "Incident Pressure Field" to it (normal vector was perpendicular to surface). In the reults, pressure on this surface was not uniform. Is this behaviour correct? To my knowledge, pressure on a plane wave surface is uniform and varies with time (not position on surface)!

1 Reply Last Post Oct 30, 2017, 4:17 p.m. EDT
Mads Herring Jensen COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 6 years ago Oct 30, 2017, 4:17 p.m. EDT

Hi Jaber

To visualize the incident pessure you need to plot the variable acpr.p_i, if what you plot is say the total pressire acpr.p_t you may see variations over the surface as this variable also contains the reflected pressure. If on the other hand you are applying the conditon on a non-flat surface you will see variations in acpr.p_i as the plane wave expression depends on position (x,y,z) in your model.

Best regards Mads

Hi Jaber To visualize the incident pessure you need to plot the variable *acpr.p_i*, if what you plot is say the total pressire *acpr.p_t* you may see variations over the surface as this variable also contains the reflected pressure. If on the other hand you are applying the conditon on a non-flat surface you will see variations in *acpr.p_i* as the plane wave expression depends on position (x,y,z) in your model. Best regards Mads

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.