Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Semiconductor power device study

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello, I want to thermally analyze a semiconductor IGBT power module in COMSOL. Its picture is attached. The procedure of my study is below: Electrical potentials are applied to gate, emitter and collector contacts of the module (upper and lower surfaces of the silicon chip). Also, electrical current is injected to wire bonds. Then, electric field (E) and current density (J) are determined in all points of the silicon chip of the module to obtain the power loss density (P=E*J) distribution inside the chip. We know electric field, current density and as a result the power loss density are not similar in any point of the silicon chip. Also, the heat generated due to the current flowing in Aluminum wires (Ohmic dissipation) should be considered in the study. Then, both power loss density and Ohmic dissipation will be used to study temperature distribution in the module components. - To do these, what physics should be used in COMSOL? - Can I provide the electric field, current density and power loss density distributes inside the silicon chip? - can I apply only the silicon material to chip and then follow my study? Or should be determined p and n domains inside the silicon chip?

-------------------
Mohsen Akbari

1 Reply Last Post Nov 20, 2017, 3:08 p.m. EST

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 6 years ago Nov 20, 2017, 3:08 p.m. EST

You can provide the electric fields to this. Yea it need to apply silicon only due to semiconductor diode basics in general.

You can provide the electric fields to this. Yea it need to apply silicon only due to [semiconductor diode](http://911electronic.com/semiconductor-diode/) basics in general.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.