Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Is there a way model screw threads in COMSOL?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am currently trying to model some screw threads in COMSOL and have a couple questions. 1) Is they type of modeling even possible in COMSOL? and 2) If so, how is it done?

I know that in many modeling software packages you specify a helix/spiral to define your thread path and then use a sweep to create the thread profile along that path. In COMSOL I have messed around with the Helix (which does not appear to be able to do a line spiral path, only either a solid or hollow circular profile path) and the sweep function to accomplish the same thing but have not had any luck.

I have been able to draw a triangle in a work plane and sweep it along a cylindrical edge but there are a couple problems with this approach. The first is that for some reason COMSOL has divided my cylinder into four 'quadrants' (even though it is all one edge) so i have to preform 4 sweeps to get a complete circular thread. Secondly, I don't want a circular thread. I want the thread to follow a spiral along the face of the cylinder. I do not know how to draw this spiral on the cylinder faces (which is really a single face).

Attached is a photo of my model. In it you can see that i have a simple 3D solid I wish to place threads on the interior of (like a nut) and how COMSOL has divided the face in to quadrants.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2 Replies Last Post Apr 6, 2011, 9:54 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 6, 2011, 3:49 a.m. EDT
Hi

yes indeed the "Helix" is for round sections, not closed 2D area created in a workplane, it looks like that this feature is not yet there, probably worth to remind "support" of a potential improvement :)

What is possible is to create a helix edge and then use a workplane to create a triangular shape and use the two for a sweep, but the twist compensation is not very good. And put your Face to sweep at the start of the line, else the result is somewhat surprising (top part)

model joined 4.1.0.185

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi yes indeed the "Helix" is for round sections, not closed 2D area created in a workplane, it looks like that this feature is not yet there, probably worth to remind "support" of a potential improvement :) What is possible is to create a helix edge and then use a workplane to create a triangular shape and use the two for a sweep, but the twist compensation is not very good. And put your Face to sweep at the start of the line, else the result is somewhat surprising (top part) model joined 4.1.0.185 -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 6, 2011, 9:54 a.m. EDT
Thanks for the advice and model. That helps quite a bit.

I will definitely contact support about the potential for improvement :)

Thanks again.
Thanks for the advice and model. That helps quite a bit. I will definitely contact support about the potential for improvement :) Thanks again.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.