Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Strange magnetic flux density and source phase dependence

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I have to model 3 phase device (transformer). I need time dependent solution with voltage source from external circuit. Because of improper results of some expressions applied to COMSOL I decided to simplify my problem.
I've modeled simple coil. Then I faced with strange results just changing 'source phase' in electrical circuit. For different source phase I get different values of magnetic flux density in the core.
It doesn't look properly even if we assume transient phenomena. For longer simulation time (after 10[s]) result is similar.
I would like to ask also if my approach of modeling two parts of one winding in 2D and connect it with two 'External I Vs. U' blocks like in my attached model is suitable way.
Another thing is that 'source phase' has 'rad' unit but for proper phase shift we have to put values in degrees.

I attach my test model with average B fields in core versus time (for different phases).
For watch graphs: Results -> B in different phases - Table Plot 1 (and click Plot)

Best Regards,

Przemek

1 Reply Last Post Apr 28, 2011, 4:14 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 28, 2011, 4:14 p.m. EDT
Hi

for the deg/rad issue it looks like a typo, I have too in V4.1.0.185, I agree it should be "deg" and not RAD

But for the rest I'm not sure what to say. And I'm not sure you really need the CIR physics to link the coils, you have the specific variables you might use to add an equation to "link" your two "rails" into a half loop coil,
I have seen an example in a model recently, but I cannot remember where, was certainly on the Forum, or the model exchange ?

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi for the deg/rad issue it looks like a typo, I have too in V4.1.0.185, I agree it should be "deg" and not RAD But for the rest I'm not sure what to say. And I'm not sure you really need the CIR physics to link the coils, you have the specific variables you might use to add an equation to "link" your two "rails" into a half loop coil, I have seen an example in a model recently, but I cannot remember where, was certainly on the Forum, or the model exchange ? -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.