Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Picosecond laser heat of solid-liquid system

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello Users, I am modeling the heat transfer between a metal nanoparticle in an aqueous medium (water) when subject to a picosecond Gaussian pulse. At present, I am assuming classical heat diffusion under the heat transfer module. Later, I will switch to the 'two-temperature model' for accuracy.

I want to compare the temperature v/s time plots (probe situated at the nanoparticle-water interface) for the cases - with and without 'thin film resistance'. On comparing the temperature plots, I find that the temperature at the nanoparticle surface from the 'perfect contact (zero thermal boundary resistance)' simulation to be higher than the simulation with a finite value of the thermal boundary resistance. This is not the correct behavior, as in the latter, there is resistance to the heat flow and hence the temperature of the surface should be higher than the perfect contact simulation.

I have checked the quality of mesh and using very fine timesteps. Can anyone comment on this? Please note, this is not the case for 'ns' laser pulse heating and over there the results are consistent with the physics.

-DS

0 Replies Last Post Jul 15, 2018, 10:03 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Daipayan Sarkar

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.