Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

gradient wall shear stress

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I am computing the flow into a curved pipe, and I would like to plot the spatial gradient of wall shear stress.
-The command dtang(WSS, x) gives an error (could not evaluate the expression)
-The command d(WSS,x) gives 0....

Exporting to Matlab seems to be a complicated solution since the points on the surface of the pipe are exported in a list and therefore the calculus of the gradient is tricky.

Any ideas??

Thank you!
Guillermo

4 Replies Last Post May 11, 2012, 1:48 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Guillermo Vilaplana

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 19, 2012, 10:35 p.m. EST
Hi,

I am wondering if anybody knows how to compute wall shear stress gradient using COMSOL. I tried but it is not working.

Thanks,
Sirisha
Hi, I am wondering if anybody knows how to compute wall shear stress gradient using COMSOL. I tried but it is not working. Thanks, Sirisha

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 20, 2012, 4:51 a.m. EST
Hi,

This is the way I go about to obtain the WSS and its gradient:

-First I create WSS as a variable along the boundary of interest.
Eg. WSS = sqrt(spf.K_stressz^2 + spf.K_stressr^2)
This is for a 2D axisymmetric case where only the r and z component of the viscous stress tensor is included.
- Then the GWSS is defined as:
GWSS = sqrt(d(spf.K_stressz,z)^2 + d(spf.K_stressr,r)^2)

This returns the magnitude of the GWSS at a point (along the geometry) but in the same manner the components in z,r-directions could be obtained.
Hi, This is the way I go about to obtain the WSS and its gradient: -First I create WSS as a variable along the boundary of interest. Eg. WSS = sqrt(spf.K_stressz^2 + spf.K_stressr^2) This is for a 2D axisymmetric case where only the r and z component of the viscous stress tensor is included. - Then the GWSS is defined as: GWSS = sqrt(d(spf.K_stressz,z)^2 + d(spf.K_stressr,r)^2) This returns the magnitude of the GWSS at a point (along the geometry) but in the same manner the components in z,r-directions could be obtained.

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 3, 2012, 5:05 a.m. EDT

Hi,

This is the way I go about to obtain the WSS and its gradient:

-First I create WSS as a variable along the boundary of interest.
Eg. WSS = sqrt(spf.K_stressz^2 + spf.K_stressr^2)
This is for a 2D axisymmetric case where only the r and z component of the viscous stress tensor is included.
- Then the GWSS is defined as:
GWSS = sqrt(d(spf.K_stressz,z)^2 + d(spf.K_stressr,r)^2)

This returns the magnitude of the GWSS at a point (along the geometry) but in the same manner the components in z,r-directions could be obtained.

Hi, Wiktor Stenström,

May i know why you dont use spf.K_stressphi component?
i thought the phi is sqrt(r^2+z^2), am i right?
[QUOTE] Hi, This is the way I go about to obtain the WSS and its gradient: -First I create WSS as a variable along the boundary of interest. Eg. WSS = sqrt(spf.K_stressz^2 + spf.K_stressr^2) This is for a 2D axisymmetric case where only the r and z component of the viscous stress tensor is included. - Then the GWSS is defined as: GWSS = sqrt(d(spf.K_stressz,z)^2 + d(spf.K_stressr,r)^2) This returns the magnitude of the GWSS at a point (along the geometry) but in the same manner the components in z,r-directions could be obtained. [/QUOTE] Hi, Wiktor Stenström, May i know why you dont use spf.K_stressphi component? i thought the phi is sqrt(r^2+z^2), am i right?

Posted: 1 decade ago May 11, 2012, 1:48 p.m. EDT
How to compute WSSG for a 3D geometry?
Textbook definitions talk about using the squareroot of the sum of the squares of the shear stress in the local tangential and local normal directions. How do we compute or find out the local tangential and local normal directions?

Thanks,
Sirisha
How to compute WSSG for a 3D geometry? Textbook definitions talk about using the squareroot of the sum of the squares of the shear stress in the local tangential and local normal directions. How do we compute or find out the local tangential and local normal directions? Thanks, Sirisha

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.