Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to model a sharply changing BC

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Ok, so I have a laser source that turns off at a particular point in time. I need to model the laser, heating and heat distribution until it completely cools off. I can do this with multiple steps however it makes it impossible to do a parameter/auxiliary sweep (As far as I know). So I want to use a variable BC, but I think COMSOL sees high gradients and decides that it needs to turn it off sooner and in steps (Without telling me, I might add). Is there anyway to model this? I thought a shorter time-step might allow me to achieve this. However,the duration is too long to reduce timestep for the whole run and COMSOL simply ignores my variable timesteps (example below) and only uses the initial value of the function throughout the simulation.

Timestep Function Example (ignore the fact that it is needlessly complicated):

1(0.25(t[1/s]<(Duration-20))+0.75(t[1/s]<(Duration-10)))+(0.05(t[1/s]>=(Duration-10)))+0.95*(t[1/s]>(Duration+10))

P.S. Maybe I should mention that by timestep I actually mean the "Study Settings>Times" section.

0 Replies Last Post Mar 26, 2019, 3:48 a.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Pooyan Heravi

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.