Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

mesh movement and hysteresis Jiles-Atherton model

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi in case of mesh movement, the hysteresis model does not work and error occurs. I was wondering if there is solution for it?

2 Replies Last Post Aug 20, 2019, 4:55 p.m. EDT
Magnus Olsson COMSOL Employee

Posted: 5 years ago Aug 20, 2019, 11:14 a.m. EDT
Updated: 5 years ago Aug 20, 2019, 11:11 a.m. EDT

Dear Nina,

What kind of moving mesh are you referring to? It should work for rigid body motion, setting the "Material type" in Ampère's Law to "Solid". It has not been implemented for freely deforming domains as it is not clear how the magnetization should transform in that case. In general, freely deforming solids with any kind of "polarization" are problematic as there is no "a priori correct way" for such a material to behave. You can compare to magnetostriction which is an established such material model - but not all materials are magnetostrictive.

-------------------
Magnus
Dear Nina, What kind of moving mesh are you referring to? It should work for rigid body motion, setting the "Material type" in Ampère's Law to "Solid". It has not been implemented for freely deforming domains as it is not clear how the magnetization should transform in that case. In general, freely deforming solids with any kind of "polarization" are problematic as there is no "a priori correct way" for such a material to behave. You can compare to magnetostriction which is an established such material model - but not all materials are magnetostrictive.

Posted: 5 years ago Aug 20, 2019, 4:55 p.m. EDT

Dear Magnus I mean the rotation of the rotor with respect to the stator of the electrical machines. as the rotor rotates, the geometry of the machine varies. so, mesh movement must be employed. I was wondering if the rotor and stator areas are meshed, and the air-gap between them is considered as boundary element (in which only the boundary is meshed), then the J-A hysteresis model works? Best regards Nina

Dear Magnus I mean the rotation of the rotor with respect to the stator of the electrical machines. as the rotor rotates, the geometry of the machine varies. so, mesh movement must be employed. I was wondering if the rotor and stator areas are meshed, and the air-gap between them is considered as boundary element (in which only the boundary is meshed), then the J-A hysteresis model works? Best regards Nina

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.