Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Coupling Problems with Multibody Dynamics and Solid Mechanics.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I put a piezoelectric device in a rotating object, and I want to see the voltage change due to the deformation of the object.

I was thinking of coupling the Multibody Dynamics (MBD) and Piezoelectric device (PZD) modules.

So what I tried was to specify the piezoelectric element as Linear Elastic Material (Anisotropic) in Multibody Dynamics,

I tried to calculate the voltage generated by transferring the variables for the stresses generated during rotation(MBD) to the Solid Mechanics(PZD) module.

The domain for the piezoelectric element is then assigned to the MBD and PZD modules at the same time. This resulted in a “multiple moving frame specifications on the same selection” error during computation.

Is there a way to solve this problem?

Thanks

4 Replies Last Post Feb 5, 2020, 4:33 a.m. EST
Pawan Soami COMSOL Employee

Posted: 4 years ago Nov 6, 2019, 12:16 a.m. EST
Updated: 4 years ago Nov 6, 2019, 12:17 a.m. EST

Dear Hyunseok,

Each object/domain should be defined only in one physics, either in Multibody Dynamics or Solid Mechanics. In this case, the rotating object can be defined in the Multibody Dynamics interface and piezoelectric device can be defined in the Solid Mechanics interface.

Use Attachment node (in both physics) and Joint node (in MBD) to connect these two objects exist in two different physics.

Best regards,
Pawan Soami

Dear Hyunseok, Each object/domain should be defined only in one physics, either in Multibody Dynamics or Solid Mechanics. In this case, the rotating object can be defined in the Multibody Dynamics interface and piezoelectric device can be defined in the Solid Mechanics interface. Use Attachment node (in both physics) and Joint node (in MBD) to connect these two objects exist in two different physics. Best regards, Pawan Soami

Posted: 4 years ago Feb 4, 2020, 8:46 a.m. EST

thank you for the reply.

This helped me to use both PZD and MBD at the same time.

But there was another problem.

I wanted to measure the current generated as my modeling rotates.

So I added an electrical circuit module under the same conditions and computed my modeling.

But this time it doesn't compute,

Only external I-terminal and resistor (10000000 ohm) were applied.

I don't understand why it doesn't work.

Is there a way to solve this problem?

Thanks

thank you for the reply. This helped me to use both PZD and MBD at the same time. But there was another problem. I wanted to measure the current generated as my modeling rotates. So I added an electrical circuit module under the same conditions and computed my modeling. But this time it doesn't compute, Only external I-terminal and resistor (10000000 ohm) were applied. I don't understand why it doesn't work. Is there a way to solve this problem? Thanks

Pawan Soami COMSOL Employee

Posted: 4 years ago Feb 5, 2020, 1:12 a.m. EST

Dear Hyunseok,

Could you please share the exact error message what you are getting while adding Electrical Circuit interface in the model?

Best regards,
Pawan Soami

Dear Hyunseok, Could you please share the exact error message what you are getting while adding Electrical Circuit interface in the model? Best regards, Pawan Soami

Posted: 4 years ago Feb 5, 2020, 4:33 a.m. EST
Updated: 4 years ago Feb 5, 2020, 4:43 a.m. EST

The error message is' Internal xmesh error. Failed to find model. '

When using adaptive mesh refinement, a 'maximum iteration reached' error occurs.

Alternatively, the convergence graph diverges and vibrates, and does not progress.

The error message is' Internal xmesh error. Failed to find model. ' When using adaptive mesh refinement, a 'maximum iteration reached' error occurs. Alternatively, the convergence graph diverges and vibrates, and does not progress.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.