Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Maximum number of Newton iterations reached

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Good day,

I am having this error after inputing a new function into the model. The new fucntion I inputied is the equation of density of CO2, which represent real gas condition, since what COMSOL has is CO2 ideal gas. Could someone help me finding out what is the problem?

Best regards, Nico

4 Replies Last Post Mar 2, 2020, 5:02 a.m. EST

Posted: 4 years ago Feb 27, 2020, 9:21 a.m. EST
Updated: 4 years ago Feb 27, 2020, 3:19 p.m. EST

Hi Nico,

You can increase the number of Newton iterations under "Study->Solver Configurations->Solver->Time-Dependent Solver->Fully Coupled". I usually set the maximum number of iterations to 25 and it works.

Cheers,

Alex

Hi Nico, You can increase the number of Newton iterations under "Study->Solver Configurations->Solver->Time-Dependent Solver->Fully Coupled". I usually set the maximum number of iterations to 25 and it works. Cheers, Alex

Posted: 4 years ago Feb 28, 2020, 3:29 a.m. EST

Thynk you for your answer,

I actually did that, however the simulation did not work. Not only increasing the iterations number, changging jacobian did not also help.

Best regards,

Nico

Thynk you for your answer, I actually did that, however the simulation did not work. Not only increasing the iterations number, changging jacobian did not also help. Best regards, Nico

Posted: 4 years ago Feb 28, 2020, 10:14 a.m. EST

Are you using a fully coupled solver? If so, you can try to change the nonlinear method to Automatic or Automatic Highly Nonlinear, which will slow down the simulation, but can help with nonlinear problems.

Cheers,

Alex

Are you using a fully coupled solver? If so, you can try to change the nonlinear method to Automatic or Automatic Highly Nonlinear, which will slow down the simulation, but can help with nonlinear problems. Cheers, Alex

Posted: 4 years ago Mar 2, 2020, 5:02 a.m. EST

Thank you for the answer. I have also tried that method, but still didnt work at all.

Best regards,

Nico

Thank you for the answer. I have also tried that method, but still didnt work at all. Best regards, Nico

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.