Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Layered Shell impacted with a hemisphere

Osama Ahmed Ph. D Student

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello Everyone, I am seeking some help and guidance to simulate a contact study where a layered shell (composite laminated) is impacted with a hemisphere using different impact energyies. I am new to Comsol environment, so I would like to know if this simulation can be done using comsol? Secondly, which physics and study are suitable? I have tried using structure mechanics (layered shell) --> contact pairs, but the simulation takes long time and sometimes I get an error (" no enough space"). Your help is much apperciated.

3 Replies Last Post Sep 22, 2020, 1:48 p.m. EDT
Pawan Soami COMSOL Employee

Posted: 4 years ago Sep 21, 2020, 8:26 a.m. EDT

Hello Osama,

There are many ways to model such problem. The suitable physics interfaces are Layered Shell and Shell (with Layered Linear Elastic Material) interfaces. The Shell interface is based on equivalent single layer theory and faster compared to Layered Shell interface.

Regarding the impact modeling, either you can use Contact between the two bodies or to start with you can also use a impulse force applying directly on the composite plate. This force as a function of time can give approximate representation of the real contact force between the plate and hemisphere.

In case contact modeling is necessary here then using penalty method within contact sometimes simply the problem definition at the expense of slight inaccuracy. So you can try switching to penalty method if it is not used already.

Feel free to reach comsol support for any further help support@comsol.com.

Best regards,
Pawan Soami

Hello Osama, There are many ways to model such problem. The suitable physics interfaces are Layered Shell and Shell (with Layered Linear Elastic Material) interfaces. The Shell interface is based on equivalent single layer theory and faster compared to Layered Shell interface. Regarding the impact modeling, either you can use Contact between the two bodies or to start with you can also use a impulse force applying directly on the composite plate. This force as a function of time can give approximate representation of the real contact force between the plate and hemisphere. In case contact modeling is necessary here then using penalty method within contact sometimes simply the problem definition at the expense of slight inaccuracy. So you can try switching to penalty method if it is not used already. Feel free to reach comsol support for any further help support@comsol.com. Best regards, Pawan Soami

Osama Ahmed Ph. D Student

Posted: 4 years ago Sep 21, 2020, 4:43 p.m. EDT

Hello Pawan,

Thank you for your reply. Yes I'm using the penalty method and contact modeling is necessary. I used the layered shell physics--> applied fixed boundary condition to two edges of the composite plate and tried to add a perscribed velocity condition to the hemisphere but I get " not applicable message"

Hello Pawan, Thank you for your reply. Yes I'm using the penalty method and contact modeling is necessary. I used the layered shell physics--> applied fixed boundary condition to two edges of the composite plate and tried to add a perscribed velocity condition to the hemisphere but I get " not applicable message"

Pawan Soami COMSOL Employee

Posted: 4 years ago Sep 22, 2020, 1:48 p.m. EDT

Hello Osama,

I am afraid that it is difficult to suggest anything without seeing the model setup as fundamentally I don't see why such a model should throw an error.

Feel free to contact comsol support for further help.

Best regards,
Pawan Soami

Hello Osama, I am afraid that it is difficult to suggest anything without seeing the model setup as fundamentally I don't see why such a model should throw an error. Feel free to contact comsol support for further help. Best regards, Pawan Soami

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.