Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How do I add edges to the circumference of a disk?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Basically I've modelled a tiny piezo disk and I need to provide in-plane stress and I'm doing that by making one boundary a fixed constraint and providing boundary load to the opposite boundary. Using the cylinder, I already got 4 edges along the circumference but this makes the boundaries too large. Can I create new edges somehow? I tried virtual operations but couldn't do it that way. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks!

2 Replies Last Post Jan 14, 2021, 12:41 p.m. EST
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 3 years ago Jan 14, 2021, 10:41 a.m. EST
Updated: 3 years ago Jan 14, 2021, 10:49 a.m. EST

If I understand you correctly, then your problem has to do with the way the geometry is/was created. A default circle (or cylinder) has 4 arcs to it. But you don't have to create it that way. For example, you can instead create a circle in a way that allows you to set how many arcs are used. Then you can make a cylinder by extruding that circle. To do this, in a workplane, create a circle in terms of a set of arcs or pie-wedges. This is possible because Comsol allows you to specify the angular range of the "circle," which is 360 deg by default, but you can specify a different value. For example, see the attached .mph file and a .jpeg screenshot. In this example, I used 60 deg arcs, then rotated and combined them to make a full circle composed of 6 arcs, instead of the usual 4. You can use the same technique to get as many arcs as you want.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
If I understand you correctly, then your problem has to do with the way the geometry is/was created. A default circle (or cylinder) has 4 arcs to it. But you don't have to create it that way. For example, you can instead create a circle in a way that allows you to set how many arcs are used. Then you can make a cylinder by extruding that circle. To do this, in a workplane, create a circle in terms of a set of arcs or pie-wedges. This is possible because Comsol allows you to specify the angular range of the "circle," which is 360 deg by default, but you can specify a different value. For example, see the attached .mph file and a .jpeg screenshot. In this example, I used 60 deg arcs, then rotated and combined them to make a full circle composed of 6 arcs, instead of the usual 4. You can use the same technique to get as many arcs as you want.

Posted: 3 years ago Jan 14, 2021, 12:41 p.m. EST

Hey Robert, thanks for the input. I couldn't open the mph file as I'm on 5.5 but I followed the steps and it worked like a charm. Would you also by any chance know how to extract the external impedance as seen by the disk? Thanks again!

>If I understand you correctly, then your problem has to do with the way the geometry is/was created. A default circle (or cylinder) has 4 arcs to it. But you don't have to create it that way. For example, you can instead create a circle in a way that allows you to set how many arcs are used. Then you can make a cylinder by extruding that circle. To do this, in a workplane, create a circle in terms of a set of arcs or pie-wedges. This is possible because Comsol allows you to specify the angular range of the "circle," which is 360 deg by default, but you can specify a different value. For example, see the attached .mph file and a .jpeg screenshot. In this example, I used 60 deg arcs, then rotated and combined them to make a full circle composed of 6 arcs, instead of the usual 4. You can use the same technique to get as many arcs as you want. Hey Robert, thanks for the input. I couldn't open the mph file as I'm on 5.5 but I followed the steps and it worked like a charm. Would you also by any chance know how to extract the external impedance as seen by the disk? Thanks again!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.