Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

2D axial symmetry - remeshing due to prescribed displacement fails close to axis?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone,

Short version: FSI 2D axially symmetric time-dependent simulation with solid moving along symmetry axis fails presumably because of remeshing failure on the solid-liquid boundary close to the symmetry axis. See image for full explanation.

Long version: I am doing a fluid-solid interaction simulation. It is an axially symmetric 3D simulation, where a solid plate moves parallel to the symmetry axis within a pipe filled with fluid. I am using a prescribed displacement for the moving solid domain and all its edges/vertices, and a deforming Yeon mesh to accomodate for the distortion of the fluid with automatic remeshing. The solid moves fine, but the simulation fails because there is an inversion on the solid-fluid boundary close to the axis symmetry. I tried several conditions, but I am showing you a clear example where no matter how sensitive to distortion the remeshing is, the simulation fails. The less sensitive simulation shows the inversion issue very well.

Any suggestions? Is what I am trying to do not possible on comsol? Thank you very much for your help!

Christos

0 Replies Last Post Jan 14, 2021, 8:38 p.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Christos Michas

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.