Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

remanent flux density vs surface flux density.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I want to design a permanent magnet. On the comsol, the remanent flux density is the value to input the intrinsic value of the actual permanent magnet. However, I can check the surface flux density through the actual measured results. Therefore, I would like to ask if it is correct to make the actual measured surface magnetic flux density value by adjusting the residual magnetic flux density.

1 Reply Last Post Jan 15, 2021, 10:33 a.m. EST
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 3 years ago Jan 15, 2021, 10:33 a.m. EST
Updated: 3 years ago Jan 15, 2021, 10:49 a.m. EST

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that you want to use the measured value of an exterior magnetic flux density to infer the magnet's remanent flux density. (These are, of course, different quantities, but they are also related, so it makes sense to ask if one can be derived from measurements of the other.) In short, yes, you should be able to do that, especially (and most easily) if the magnet is sufficiently-uniformly magnetized. Also, make sure that your Comsol Multiphysics model is carefully prepared and that your experiments are carefully performed, with close attention to potential sources of confusion or errors in both. Note that you may be able to improve accuracy and confidence in your results if you sample the external magnetic flux density at many locations on and around your magnet, to compare to the model's predictions there. Also, if there are any non-removable magnetic materials (such as iron) involved in your experiment, that will add complications to your work. You might also want to look at the book, "Permanent Magnet Materials and their Application," by Peter Campbell.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
*If I understand you correctly*, you are saying that you want to use the *measured* value of an exterior magnetic flux density to *infer* the magnet's remanent flux density. (These are, of course, *different* quantities, but they are also *related,* so it makes sense to ask if one can be derived from measurements of the other.) In short, yes, you should be able to do that, especially (and most easily) if the magnet is sufficiently-uniformly magnetized. Also, make sure that your Comsol Multiphysics model is carefully prepared *and* that your experiments are carefully performed, with close attention to potential sources of confusion or errors in *both.* Note that you may be able to improve accuracy and confidence in your results if you sample the external magnetic flux density at *many* locations on and around your magnet, to compare to the model's predictions there. Also, if there are any non-removable magnetic materials (such as iron) involved in your experiment, that will add complications to your work. You might also want to look at the book, "Permanent Magnet Materials and their Application," by Peter Campbell.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.