Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Laminar or Turbulence Model?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi everyone,

First off thanks for looking at my question and any feedback you could give me would be greatly appreciated!

I'm trying to run some CFD modelling but I'm not sure the flow would be laminar or turbulent as the geometry isn't just a straight tube. its a 3D square room that have inlet on top of it. Can COMSOL calculate the reynolds number for the geometry so I know which physics I should be used?

FYI I'm a novice at both COMSOL and fluid dynamics.

Thanks for your help.

1 Reply Last Post Feb 10, 2021, 12:25 p.m. EST

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 3 years ago Feb 10, 2021, 12:25 p.m. EST

Hello

As per my knowledge, Software won't be able to calculate the reynolds number on its own. You can always calculate the hydraulic diameter for non circular shape which is 4*Inlet Area / Inlet Perimeter. In your case it will be just the edge length (a) as its a square and use that for calculating Re. This should give your best approximation of Re for the flow.

Hello As per my knowledge, Software won't be able to calculate the reynolds number on its own. You can always calculate the hydraulic diameter for non circular shape which is 4*Inlet Area / Inlet Perimeter. In your case it will be just the edge length (a) as its a square and use that for calculating Re. This should give your best approximation of Re for the flow.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.