Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Need Simulation of Heat Dissipation of Electronics Enclosure (Heat Transfer Module required)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello

I am a self employed engineer. I need somebody to help me create a simulation of heat dissipation of a number of electronic boards mounted in a standard size rack mount 2U enclosure.

Each electronic board is 120x120mm, and has 4 heat sources on them (CPU). On top of the heat sources is a heat sink with 40x40x40mm. I know the heat dissipation of each board/CPU.

I plan to mount 30 devices into one enclosure. This means 3 rows with 5 devices, and two layers (boards are layered with 45mm stand-offs).

At the front (and optionally at the back) I plan to mount a row of 80mm fans to establish air flow (ie. 35 CFM, cubic foot per minute) each.

I am not sure how much air flow these fans need to provide, and how many of them I need. I also don't know if I need to use a larger enclosure (4U). This is exactly where I need help.

These boards only exist in a small number right now (prototypes) so trying it out is not an option. COMSOL Multiphysics Heat Transfer Module seems to be the right tool for the job. Alternatively I could probably mount 30 light bulbs with the same wattage into the enclosure and give it a try, but I am not a physicist so I am not even sure if that would work ;)

Does anybody know where I could find a freelancer or other person to work on this for me, and what the cost of this would be? Would it be very time consuming?

Tasks that would need to be done:

- Create server enclosure in Comsol
- Create electronic boards with 4 CPU and 4 heat sink
- Assign certain wattage of heat dissipation to the 4
- Create fans with certain CFM air flow
- "Assemble" boards and fans into enclosure
- Start the simulation with maximum heat dissipation
- Run various simulations and output images
- Ambient air temperature 20C > 3 Air Flow (CFM) simulations (ie. 100 cfm, 150 cfm, 200 cfm)
- Ambient air temperature 25C > 3 Air Flow (CFM) simulations
- Ambient air temperature 30C > 3 Air Flow (CFM) simulations
- Simulate an extra row of fans at the back to see if that wold help
- If needed simulated an extra row of fans in the middle

What I am trying to do is to find out if my plan is going to work, and what I need to do in order to keep the hardware sufficiently cooled. The values above are just for illustration, of course I have more detailed data I just tried to keep it simple.

Best regards,
Alex

1 Reply Last Post Apr 27, 2012, 1:25 a.m. EDT

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 27, 2012, 1:25 a.m. EDT
I assume nobody here is looking for a freelance job.
I assume nobody here is looking for a freelance job.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.