Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Comsol Book

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear All Comsol workers,

I need little help. I am beginner user in Comsol 4.2a with no experience in older versions. I need information about book: www.merclearning.com/titles/multiphysics_modeling_comsol.html. Is anybody has some experience with this book? Is it worth to buy?

And one more thing. If anybody has some advice how to start to learn this software? What is the best way?

Thank you very much on every answer.

3 Replies Last Post Sep 3, 2012, 12:42 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago May 3, 2012, 10:38 a.m. EDT
Hi

I do not know the v4, I bought the V3.5 one. For me it was too much screen shots and too little math/physics, but that all depends on what you are looking for. It did go stepwise through all GUI sides for v3.5 with multiple and interesting examples and M. prior might have added more maths in the second edition so depending on what you are looking for it might well be a very good book.

I buy books myself of general physics that remain valid independently of any software, and get our library to buy the books that are more version dependent, as these wear out too quickly ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I do not know the v4, I bought the V3.5 one. For me it was too much screen shots and too little math/physics, but that all depends on what you are looking for. It did go stepwise through all GUI sides for v3.5 with multiple and interesting examples and M. prior might have added more maths in the second edition so depending on what you are looking for it might well be a very good book. I buy books myself of general physics that remain valid independently of any software, and get our library to buy the books that are more version dependent, as these wear out too quickly ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago May 4, 2012, 1:04 p.m. EDT
In my opinion, this book is completely worthless. You will learn much more by going through relevant models from COMSOL model library.
In my opinion, this book is completely worthless. You will learn much more by going through relevant models from COMSOL model library.

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 3, 2012, 12:42 p.m. EDT
Hello, i'm a student and i am a beginner of matlab, and i have to solve a PDE for my assay. do you know a book or guide to use comsol? thank you
Hello, i'm a student and i am a beginner of matlab, and i have to solve a PDE for my assay. do you know a book or guide to use comsol? thank you

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.