Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Resonant damping problem

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,
I am working on a simple torsional micro paddle resonator model, and I was able to model this in COMSOL 4.2a in order to see the natural frequency of the device.
However, the displacement of this tiny paddle with dimensions of 8 by 10 micro meter square gives a displacement of about 5 meter !
I realised in order to have a correct displacement value I have to include damping characteristics. I found "models.mems.biased_resonator_2d_freq" model quite informative on how to add Rayleigh Damping into a system. Rayleigh damping parameters for my model are 1292.5422 [Hz] and 4.98363e-11[s] for alpha and beta respectively. I followed the same instructions in order to see the correct values of the displacement in displacement vs. frequency graph, but I was not successful. The maximum displacement of the paddle is still about 5 meter at its first natural frequency. I attached my model here and would really appreciate if anyone can help me with this problem.
Sahand

0 Replies Last Post May 4, 2012, 3:14 p.m. EDT
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Sahand Chitsaz

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.