Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

want to visualize the grid distribution and how to multi-block

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone,

I am modeling the flow field around buildings using COMSOL 4.2a. After creating the mesh, I want to see the grid distribution around a building. I want to do visual check if the gird is dense enough near the ground and around the building and it is not too small for the space far from the building. As the buidling is in the middle of the domain and COMSOL shows only the surface mesh, how can we see the mesh distribution inside the domain? I imagine that we should create one plane passing through the building and then show the grid distribution on that plane, but I cannot find the way.

In addition, I want a grid near the building very fine and the grid in the region far from the building very coarse. I am thinking about multi-block meshing. However, I cannot find the article mentioned about this technique for COMSOL. Can anyone suggest me how to use different mesh distributions in one domain?

Thank you very much.

Atit

3 Replies Last Post May 30, 2012, 3:05 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago May 30, 2012, 2:35 p.m. EDT
Hi

there are a few threads about this, if I remember one way was to use a filter selection added to your plot node and use a x>something condition. You can also observe the grid with your results by turning on the WireFrame option in the surface or volume plot node, as well as turn on axtra interpolations

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi there are a few threads about this, if I remember one way was to use a filter selection added to your plot node and use a x>something condition. You can also observe the grid with your results by turning on the WireFrame option in the surface or volume plot node, as well as turn on axtra interpolations -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago May 30, 2012, 2:59 p.m. EDT
Thank you Ivar for your kind reply. I will try to follow your suggestion.

Anyway, do you have any idea how to do multi-block thing in COMSOL? I want to the ground around the building to have a very refine mesh and the ground outside this region have a more coarser mesh.

Thank you.

Atit
Thank you Ivar for your kind reply. I will try to follow your suggestion. Anyway, do you have any idea how to do multi-block thing in COMSOL? I want to the ground around the building to have a very refine mesh and the ground outside this region have a more coarser mesh. Thank you. Atit

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago May 30, 2012, 3:05 p.m. EDT
Hi

there are many options in the meshing (in manual mode), you have the "size" nodes you can add several and set certain to only a domain, or some entities. The size can also be added to a mesh node (right click and see) as "Distributions" with several options.

The main principel in the node tree, whatever node comes later and is referring to a node defined earlier will override the previous settings

The best is to try it out and repeat several exercicies the model library is a good place to start

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi there are many options in the meshing (in manual mode), you have the "size" nodes you can add several and set certain to only a domain, or some entities. The size can also be added to a mesh node (right click and see) as "Distributions" with several options. The main principel in the node tree, whatever node comes later and is referring to a node defined earlier will override the previous settings The best is to try it out and repeat several exercicies the model library is a good place to start -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.