Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Nodal values in COMSOL

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am running a COMSOL model whose independent variables are displacement u.
In COMSOL 3.5a, the nodal values stored are the displacement u. During the post processing, we can directly read u, but stress, strain and other variable values should be calculated again.

In my problem, stress-strain is a highly nonlinear relation. It takes a long time to find a converged solution of stress based on u. I found that Ansys allows you to store not only the nodal displacements but also the element strain, stresses etc. How to save up other nodal values in COMSOL v3.5a (preferred) or v4?

Thanks very much

Dan

3 Replies Last Post May 30, 2012, 4:29 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago May 30, 2012, 2:49 p.m. EDT
Hi

are you talking about the postprocessing, and rebuild of the Results plots, or the data base ?

I'm not sure exactly what COMSOL stores and what it calculates but indeed there are often quite some plot recalculation times, particularly for heavy models, but on the other side, if I have already several Gb of file size with just the required in the DB, I'm not sure I really want to triple or more the final model file size

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi are you talking about the postprocessing, and rebuild of the Results plots, or the data base ? I'm not sure exactly what COMSOL stores and what it calculates but indeed there are often quite some plot recalculation times, particularly for heavy models, but on the other side, if I have already several Gb of file size with just the required in the DB, I'm not sure I really want to triple or more the final model file size -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago May 30, 2012, 3:28 p.m. EDT
Hi Ivar,

I am talking about the postprocessing and fianl plots not the database.

In fact, the file size is not a problem for me. The DOFs are only 20,000. I'm wondering if COMSOL users can choose to store other nodal values besides independent variables. If so, I can save half of the time which is wasted in the recalculation.

Thanks

Dan
Hi Ivar, I am talking about the postprocessing and fianl plots not the database. In fact, the file size is not a problem for me. The DOFs are only 20,000. I'm wondering if COMSOL users can choose to store other nodal values besides independent variables. If so, I can save half of the time which is wasted in the recalculation. Thanks Dan

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago May 30, 2012, 4:29 p.m. EDT
Hi

well I have not heard about that, but I believe only "support" can really give THE answer

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi well I have not heard about that, but I believe only "support" can really give THE answer -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.