Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

how to extract the temperatures over time

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello folks,

I would like to know how to extract the temperatures over time for a given monitoring point. My time step is 0.5 seconds with total time of 76 seconds, and I can not extract the same equal time steps. The COMSOL Multiphysics package extracts the time step for longer times, e.g., 0.7 seconds, 1.2 seconds and so on.

I went to definitions -> probes -> domain point probes.

it has been selected the point that i wanted to monitor as well as the
variable to monitor (in my case, by default it was the temperature).

I'd like to appreciate your help.

1 Reply Last Post Sep 3, 2012, 4:40 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 3, 2012, 4:40 p.m. EDT
Hi

COMSOl has its own way to estomate the time steps if you leave it in "automatic", that it estimates frm the Jacobian and the changes from previous steps, but you can on one side impose a intermediate or strict time stepping, as well, I believe (but I'm not by my Workstation these days) to get COMSOL to interpolate it's results after a time stepping grid you define so you get the value desired at given times.

To get a value from any point you need to define an data set cut point sub node, or you have a defined point you can select in your geoemtry.

personally I often use average values over a small domain of interest, to be sure I do not have any singularities, as one often get on single points in multi DoF domains

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi COMSOl has its own way to estomate the time steps if you leave it in "automatic", that it estimates frm the Jacobian and the changes from previous steps, but you can on one side impose a intermediate or strict time stepping, as well, I believe (but I'm not by my Workstation these days) to get COMSOL to interpolate it's results after a time stepping grid you define so you get the value desired at given times. To get a value from any point you need to define an data set cut point sub node, or you have a defined point you can select in your geoemtry. personally I often use average values over a small domain of interest, to be sure I do not have any singularities, as one often get on single points in multi DoF domains -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.