Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

question regarding PDE and MEMS module

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I would like to solve some piezoelectric problems, but I do not currently have MEMS module.

I do have ac/dc module and the structural mechanics module that came with the software.

i want to attempt using pde module to try to solve the problems i can't currently solve without the MEMS module.

Is this possible to do or will I be missing information for the model?

3 Replies Last Post Oct 15, 2012, 11:07 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 8, 2012, 4:41 p.m. EDT
Hi

this is certainly possible, but it is some work to set up fully the PZT stress strain - electric - constitutive equations. But it's a very good exercicie to understand COMSOl in details ;)

You have the "physics builder" too nowtodays to help (in v4 sorry)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi this is certainly possible, but it is some work to set up fully the PZT stress strain - electric - constitutive equations. But it's a very good exercicie to understand COMSOl in details ;) You have the "physics builder" too nowtodays to help (in v4 sorry) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 9, 2012, 2:25 a.m. EDT
ok, thanks for the prompt response.

would it best to make the constitutive relations global expressions or scalar expressions?

is there a "best practices" approach to relating the global/scalar expressions to the built in PDE coefficient form equations?

I ask because the piezoelectric wave equation will contain both the potential and the strain tensor components, so this

connection needs to be made somehow.

what other things will i need to consider besides boundary conditions?

my actual model geometrically is just a rectangular piece of piezo material . i want to see how it changes with AC voltage.

thanks for your time.

Nishant
ok, thanks for the prompt response. would it best to make the constitutive relations global expressions or scalar expressions? is there a "best practices" approach to relating the global/scalar expressions to the built in PDE coefficient form equations? I ask because the piezoelectric wave equation will contain both the potential and the strain tensor components, so this connection needs to be made somehow. what other things will i need to consider besides boundary conditions? my actual model geometrically is just a rectangular piece of piezo material . i want to see how it changes with AC voltage. thanks for your time. Nishant

Posted: 1 decade ago Oct 15, 2012, 11:07 a.m. EDT
Ivar,

I have a simple question.

If i wanted to create the constitutive equation

Strain = compliance*Stress -piezocoupling matrix*Electric field

so my syntax in the global expressions box is:

variable: hooke1

expression: cE*sx_ps-e*Ex_dc

(focusing on just 1-d right now)
i am using 3.5a with plane stress (static), plane strain (static), and electrostatics (conductive media dc)

is this correct?

I then apply a constant dc voltage on the top boundary.

how can i look post applied voltage cE values?
Ivar, I have a simple question. If i wanted to create the constitutive equation Strain = compliance*Stress -piezocoupling matrix*Electric field so my syntax in the global expressions box is: variable: hooke1 expression: cE*sx_ps-e*Ex_dc (focusing on just 1-d right now) i am using 3.5a with plane stress (static), plane strain (static), and electrostatics (conductive media dc) is this correct? I then apply a constant dc voltage on the top boundary. how can i look post applied voltage cE values?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.