Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

what does this expression mean?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,guys,
Just see an example in RF model, but I do not know what does this global expression mean?
Name:ofact
Expession: if(nx*x+ny*y>=0,1,-1)
Description:Sign factor for outward normals on interior boundaries

Is there any Help document that I can read?

Thanks in advance.

7 Replies Last Post Mar 31, 2011, 8:22 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 2, 2010, 9:24 a.m. EDT
Hi

Well I do not know where you got it from, nor if its 3.5 or 4 but by analysing the expression and knowing that:

(nx,ny) is the normal vector of a edge, while
(x,y) is the vector from the origine to a point of coordinates (x,y)

hence
nx*x+ny*y = (nx,ny)*(x,y) is the scalar product of the normal and the point r vector which is the cosinus of the angle of the two vectors.

For this to be positive or 0 (upper quadrants I+II) the resultant if() statement is +1, while if it's inthe two lower quadrants (III+IV) the resultant is -1

So if the origine (0,0) is "inside" a convex area, and we follow the border (edge) we should have always +1 if the vector normal is pointing outwards.

I believe (to be proven though) that if you find a value -1 while travelling along the edges of a closed domain then you could state that your domain is not convex.

you can use a boundary arrow plot with "nx" and "ny" to visualise the boundary normals, and if you set the height as "nx*x+ny*y" you can check the scalar vector produt. Do it for a circle around the origine and one not containing the origine.

Not that if you use points to check the nx*x+ny*y you might have some surpries, as the points inherite their normals from the adjacent edges and this might lead to discontinuitites

I'm not sure this helps :)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Well I do not know where you got it from, nor if its 3.5 or 4 but by analysing the expression and knowing that: (nx,ny) is the normal vector of a edge, while (x,y) is the vector from the origine to a point of coordinates (x,y) hence nx*x+ny*y = (nx,ny)*(x,y) is the scalar product of the normal and the point r vector which is the cosinus of the angle of the two vectors. For this to be positive or 0 (upper quadrants I+II) the resultant if() statement is +1, while if it's inthe two lower quadrants (III+IV) the resultant is -1 So if the origine (0,0) is "inside" a convex area, and we follow the border (edge) we should have always +1 if the vector normal is pointing outwards. I believe (to be proven though) that if you find a value -1 while travelling along the edges of a closed domain then you could state that your domain is not convex. you can use a boundary arrow plot with "nx" and "ny" to visualise the boundary normals, and if you set the height as "nx*x+ny*y" you can check the scalar vector produt. Do it for a circle around the origine and one not containing the origine. Not that if you use points to check the nx*x+ny*y you might have some surpries, as the points inherite their normals from the adjacent edges and this might lead to discontinuitites I'm not sure this helps :) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 3, 2010, 4:53 a.m. EDT
Hi, Var, Thanks so much for detailed description.
You mentioned "you can use a boundary arrow plot with "nx" and "ny" to visualise the boundary normals
", while, I can not see the arrow plot for "nx" and "ny", are you sure?

Thanks again.
Hi, Var, Thanks so much for detailed description. You mentioned "you can use a boundary arrow plot with "nx" and "ny" to visualise the boundary normals ", while, I can not see the arrow plot for "nx" and "ny", are you sure? Thanks again.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 3, 2010, 5:12 a.m. EDT
Hi

Well you need to have your matrices populated so if you have not yet solved, run a "sover > get initial values" that's enough

then select "postprocessing>Arrow" plot turn on and type nx and ny for the x and y expressions

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi Well you need to have your matrices populated so if you have not yet solved, run a "sover > get initial values" that's enough then select "postprocessing>Arrow" plot turn on and type nx and ny for the x and y expressions -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 3, 2010, 10:41 p.m. EDT
Ivar,
please on this topic, i am a new user comsol40a, i want to solve (M cross n). M = Mx + My + Mz and n is normal vector to the surface pointing outward.
I am confuse on how to input the correct cross product expression above.

here is the expression i came up with...
(My*nz-Mz*ny) - (Mx*nz-Mz*nx) + (Mx*ny-My*nx)

is this correct?
Ivar, please on this topic, i am a new user comsol40a, i want to solve (M cross n). M = Mx + My + Mz and n is normal vector to the surface pointing outward. I am confuse on how to input the correct cross product expression above. here is the expression i came up with... (My*nz-Mz*ny) - (Mx*nz-Mz*nx) + (Mx*ny-My*nx) is this correct?

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 4, 2010, 1:52 a.m. EDT
Hi

I believe so it looks like my "old" way of saying that a vecrtor cross product is the determinant of

¦ i_ j_ k_ ¦
¦ Mx My Mz ¦
¦ nx ny nz ¦

if you have any doubts check it with any doc on vector calculus COMSOL follows standard rules ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I believe so it looks like my "old" way of saying that a vecrtor cross product is the determinant of ¦ i_ j_ k_ ¦ ¦ Mx My Mz ¦ ¦ nx ny nz ¦ if you have any doubts check it with any doc on vector calculus COMSOL follows standard rules ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 4, 2010, 7:40 a.m. EDT
Thanks
Thanks

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 31, 2011, 8:22 a.m. EDT

Hi,
there is another expression .
Differential scattering cross_section near_field definition :nscPoav/P0*r^2.
and far_field definition : (normEfar^2/(r/1[m])^2)/abs(E0)^2*r^2

I have search lot of literature,but i didnot found Dsc_near _field the relationship with a
Poynting equation ,
what dos this two expressions mean? where can i find them ?

normEfar mean?
thanks .
Hi, there is another expression . Differential scattering cross_section near_field definition :nscPoav/P0*r^2. and far_field definition : (normEfar^2/(r/1[m])^2)/abs(E0)^2*r^2 I have search lot of literature,but i didnot found Dsc_near _field the relationship with a Poynting equation , what dos this two expressions mean? where can i find them ? normEfar mean? thanks .

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.