Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Comsol Book Guide

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I have across a book which based on Comsol simualtion

Multiphysics Modeling Using COMSOL®: A First Principles Approach written by Roger W. Pryor, PhD.

Does anyone own that book?

I just need some opinion before purchase that book.

Thanks

5 Replies Last Post Jun 16, 2012, 4:07 a.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 16, 2010, 5:22 a.m. EDT
Hi

there are several books discussed on the forum and here:

www.comsol.eu/support/books/

personally I bough it but I should not ahve ... it's a "cookbook" click here and cklick there with no or very little background theory, therefore it's the one I would recommend last on the list.
Now this all depends on what you are looking for

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi there are several books discussed on the forum and here: http://www.comsol.eu/support/books/ personally I bough it but I should not ahve ... it's a "cookbook" click here and cklick there with no or very little background theory, therefore it's the one I would recommend last on the list. Now this all depends on what you are looking for -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 16, 2010, 5:38 a.m. EDT
My list of books are like this:

1) Multiphysics Modeling With Finite Element Methods William B. J. Zimmerman
This is the best book there. A bit outdated from the diagrams compared to Comsol 4, but yet the tricks are great. You understand how comsol works and how you can push the boundaries.

I just wished he would write another updated book with more examples in additions. He was once a very active member of the forum too. But, seems he is very busy these days.

2) An Introduction to Modeling of Transport Processes Ashim Datta and Vineet Rakesh, Cornell University, New York, USA

I just got this book. It took me 3 days to read it. There are some interesting entry level problems there, and it is a great book to teach others -- and also to learn if you are starter in Comsol.

3) Introduction to Computation and Modeling with Differential Equations Lennart Edsberg

The next book I will get and read.

4) Multiphysics Modeling Using COMSOL®: A First Principle Approach Roger W. Pryor, PhD
A COMSOL gallery book - should have been an online thumbnail gallery not a book.
My list of books are like this: 1) Multiphysics Modeling With Finite Element Methods William B. J. Zimmerman This is the best book there. A bit outdated from the diagrams compared to Comsol 4, but yet the tricks are great. You understand how comsol works and how you can push the boundaries. I just wished he would write another updated book with more examples in additions. He was once a very active member of the forum too. But, seems he is very busy these days. 2) An Introduction to Modeling of Transport Processes Ashim Datta and Vineet Rakesh, Cornell University, New York, USA I just got this book. It took me 3 days to read it. There are some interesting entry level problems there, and it is a great book to teach others -- and also to learn if you are starter in Comsol. 3) Introduction to Computation and Modeling with Differential Equations Lennart Edsberg The next book I will get and read. 4) Multiphysics Modeling Using COMSOL®: A First Principle Approach Roger W. Pryor, PhD A COMSOL gallery book - should have been an online thumbnail gallery not a book.

Posted: 1 decade ago Aug 16, 2010, 9:08 p.m. EDT
Thanks Ivar for the sharing for the review of that book. Have you order the book? I search over the internet, and it state only published at 2011, may be some information mistake there.

Danial, thanks for the list of book of sharing. It is happy to have some comment and review from other before I purchase that book, otherwise, it may cost me some money. I am currently used comsol version 3.5,may be some of the book you recommended I can refer too.

For now, I try search some E-book or may be some review book.
Thanks Ivar for the sharing for the review of that book. Have you order the book? I search over the internet, and it state only published at 2011, may be some information mistake there. Danial, thanks for the list of book of sharing. It is happy to have some comment and review from other before I purchase that book, otherwise, it may cost me some money. I am currently used comsol version 3.5,may be some of the book you recommended I can refer too. For now, I try search some E-book or may be some review book.

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 15, 2012, 5:38 p.m. EDT

My list of books are like this:

1) Multiphysics Modeling With Finite Element Methods William B. J. Zimmerman
This is the best book there. A bit outdated from the diagrams compared to Comsol 4, but yet the tricks are great. You understand how comsol works and how you can push the boundaries.

I just wished he would write another updated book with more examples in additions. He was once a very active member of the forum too. But, seems he is very busy these days.

2) An Introduction to Modeling of Transport Processes Ashim Datta and Vineet Rakesh, Cornell University, New York, USA

I just got this book. It took me 3 days to read it. There are some interesting entry level problems there, and it is a great book to teach others -- and also to learn if you are starter in Comsol.

3) Introduction to Computation and Modeling with Differential Equations Lennart Edsberg

The next book I will get and read.

4) Multiphysics Modeling Using COMSOL®: A First Principle Approach Roger W. Pryor, PhD
A COMSOL gallery book - should have been an online thumbnail gallery not a book.

Another way is doing the small and basic example close to your domain to learn Comsol.
Cheers
[QUOTE] My list of books are like this: 1) Multiphysics Modeling With Finite Element Methods William B. J. Zimmerman This is the best book there. A bit outdated from the diagrams compared to Comsol 4, but yet the tricks are great. You understand how comsol works and how you can push the boundaries. I just wished he would write another updated book with more examples in additions. He was once a very active member of the forum too. But, seems he is very busy these days. 2) An Introduction to Modeling of Transport Processes Ashim Datta and Vineet Rakesh, Cornell University, New York, USA I just got this book. It took me 3 days to read it. There are some interesting entry level problems there, and it is a great book to teach others -- and also to learn if you are starter in Comsol. 3) Introduction to Computation and Modeling with Differential Equations Lennart Edsberg The next book I will get and read. 4) Multiphysics Modeling Using COMSOL®: A First Principle Approach Roger W. Pryor, PhD A COMSOL gallery book - should have been an online thumbnail gallery not a book. [/QUOTE] Another way is doing the small and basic example close to your domain to learn Comsol. Cheers

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 16, 2012, 4:07 a.m. EDT
Hi

You are right (and wrong) Dao, at least for me the books are more generic with more math and physics in a larger sense than most COMSOL examples.
And I'm missing an introduction to the maths conventions in COMSOL, that concentrate on the conventions and the link between conventional math writing and the COMSOL GUI entries, we are all used to write math more or less the same way, all around the world, COMSOL is rewriting the math interface (and unifying, finally, the physics ;), you use the dx*dy*dz everywhere (almost) in math integration writing but you have by convention removed them from the writing in COMSOL. I found it very confusing to undertsand, in the eginning. questions like: when is "My_BC_V0" a parameter, a constant variable, a global variable a field of formally expression My_BC_V0(x,y,z,t). This becomes acceptable for users with long experience in COMSOL, but it's very confusing the first time you take COMSOL in hand, as you have the specific notations to learn, the GUI interfaces, the physics logic used etc. And there are not many "simple" examples showing this, most COMSOl experts find it too trivial, but it remains for me essential for rapidly using COMSOl correctly andallowing the users to use the full power of the adopted conventions.

Therefore reading a few books, and as you say do the exercicies, is the best way to learn COMSOl, in my view

--
Have fun COMSOLing
Ivar
Hi You are right (and wrong) Dao, at least for me the books are more generic with more math and physics in a larger sense than most COMSOL examples. And I'm missing an introduction to the maths conventions in COMSOL, that concentrate on the conventions and the link between conventional math writing and the COMSOL GUI entries, we are all used to write math more or less the same way, all around the world, COMSOL is rewriting the math interface (and unifying, finally, the physics ;), you use the dx*dy*dz everywhere (almost) in math integration writing but you have by convention removed them from the writing in COMSOL. I found it very confusing to undertsand, in the eginning. questions like: when is "My_BC_V0" a parameter, a constant variable, a global variable a field of formally expression My_BC_V0(x,y,z,t). This becomes acceptable for users with long experience in COMSOL, but it's very confusing the first time you take COMSOL in hand, as you have the specific notations to learn, the GUI interfaces, the physics logic used etc. And there are not many "simple" examples showing this, most COMSOl experts find it too trivial, but it remains for me essential for rapidly using COMSOl correctly andallowing the users to use the full power of the adopted conventions. Therefore reading a few books, and as you say do the exercicies, is the best way to learn COMSOl, in my view -- Have fun COMSOLing Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.