Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

"How can I use functions as AC input ?"

Αναστασια Μωραιτη

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,
I'm trying to run a model of a 3-phase cable in COMSOL 4.4 andi want to study the electric fleld.
I use a 2D , electrostatics model. I have 3 wave forms (each one represents a phase) and i don't know how to use the waveforms in the Electric Potential.

For example, the name of the first waveform is VOLTAGE1 (Angular frequency: 2*pi*50, Phase: 0, Amplitude: 400000 (no units) ).
So, in Electric Potential 1, i select time dependent and in V=1[V]*VOLTAGE1(t[1/s]).
But every time it prints this error:

Failed to evaluate variable.
- Variable: t
- Geometry: 1
- Boundary: 71 72 79 80 155 156 163 164
Failed to evaluate variable.
- Variable: comp1.es.V0
- Defined as: (unit_V_cf*comp1.VOLTAGE1((t/unit_s_cf)))
Failed to evaluate expression.
- Expression: comp1.es.V0-comp1.V
- Feature: Stationary Solver 1 (sol7/s1)

Should I somehow put a variable for t ? If yes, how?
Please help me, i spent so many hours trying to find a solution.

1 Reply Last Post Feb 17, 2016, 9:52 a.m. EST

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 8 years ago Feb 17, 2016, 9:52 a.m. EST
The reason is that you use Stationary solver instead of Time-Dependent. When using stationary solver, time is simply not defined. Try to switch to Time-Dependent and see if it solves your problem.
The reason is that you use Stationary solver instead of Time-Dependent. When using stationary solver, time is simply not defined. Try to switch to Time-Dependent and see if it solves your problem.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.