Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Micro mirror modeling error

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am a very beginner user of comsol, and i trying to run a model of a micro-mirror for a project i need to finish by the end of the week.

The micro-mirror is simple and its supposed to rotate when a voltage is applied between the two electrodes.

I used a combination between solid mechanism and electrostatics models. Basically I force applied the electrostatic force on the moving electrode. I also use the moving mesh in order to recalculate with the position of the moving electrode when it moves (because it increase the electrical field, and so on the electrostatic force applied).

But when I am trying to run this simulation an error occur telling me "Segregated solver steps do not involve all components." I have been trying to understand this error for three days but i don't understand. I also try to mesh the air between the electrode but with no success.

It would be nice if someone can help me on this model,

Many Thanks.

Mathieu

1 Reply Last Post Jan 20, 2011, 2:24 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 20, 2011, 2:24 a.m. EST
Hi

I believe your issue is that I see no "air" meshed in between your electrodes. So the solver cannot define a field. You need to have a closed volume, big enough to allow the V field to "loop around".

Make one or two of the capacitive models from the model library, then you will grab better the issue

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I believe your issue is that I see no "air" meshed in between your electrodes. So the solver cannot define a field. You need to have a closed volume, big enough to allow the V field to "loop around". Make one or two of the capacitive models from the model library, then you will grab better the issue -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.