Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Finding volume while model is running

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello All,

I am attempting to build a model using the heat transfer module in which the total power is constant, but as time progresses the volume that the power is spread over is changed however I can not figure out how to get the volume of a domain during the simulation.

If you could not tell from my question I am a beginner and can not seem to find this is the documentation.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

John Haase

2 Replies Last Post Apr 30, 2011, 3:29 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 25, 2011, 3:41 p.m. EDT
Hi

the volume of a domain is simply defining a "integration operator" on the volume and then define a variable

Vol = intop1(1)

Or you might use the formula "intop1(1)" directly this means integration over the selected domains of 1*dx*dy*dz, the "dx"dy*dz are implicit.

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi the volume of a domain is simply defining a "integration operator" on the volume and then define a variable Vol = intop1(1) Or you might use the formula "intop1(1)" directly this means integration over the selected domains of 1*dx*dy*dz, the "dx"dy*dz are implicit. -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Apr 30, 2011, 3:29 p.m. EDT
Ivar,

I am still having problems with this I define the integration over domain 2 as intop1 and then create a parameter called Volume_LAZ with a value of intop1(1) and then create a heat source with a volume of 4000 [W] / Volume_LAZ and yet there is still a problem.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

John Haase
Ivar, I am still having problems with this I define the integration over domain 2 as intop1 and then create a parameter called Volume_LAZ with a value of intop1(1) and then create a heat source with a volume of 4000 [W] / Volume_LAZ and yet there is still a problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated. John Haase

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.