Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Perforation holes

Sanjay Mukuntha Madhava

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

For my project i have to create a membrane and make perforation holes in it.
I have already created the Membrane but i am unable to make the perforation holes in it...

the diameter of the hole is to be 20um and distance between the holes: pitch = 100um

I have attached the membrane here...

It would be great if someone can help me

Thanks in advance
Sanjay

4 Replies Last Post May 20, 2011, 8:40 a.m. EDT

Posted: 1 decade ago May 19, 2011, 3:06 p.m. EDT

I have already created the Membrane but i am unable to make the perforation holes in it...

the diameter of the hole is to be 20um and distance between the holes: pitch = 100um

Thanks in advance
Sanjay

In your geometry node, you need to add circles to your square and locate them wherever them need to go. Add one circle and you can use the array feature to add multiples provided they all have a geometric sequence to them. Once you have that, you can then do a difference operation. Put the square in the first operation and the circles in the other. You should get an object with a bunch of holes.

I did the sample in the latest of ver4.1.
[QUOTE] For my project i have to create a membrane and make perforation holes in it. I have already created the Membrane but i am unable to make the perforation holes in it... the diameter of the hole is to be 20um and distance between the holes: pitch = 100um I have attached the membrane here... It would be great if someone can help me Thanks in advance Sanjay [/QUOTE] In your geometry node, you need to add circles to your square and locate them wherever them need to go. Add one circle and you can use the array feature to add multiples provided they all have a geometric sequence to them. Once you have that, you can then do a difference operation. Put the square in the first operation and the circles in the other. You should get an object with a bunch of holes. I did the sample in the latest of ver4.1.

Sanjay Mukuntha Madhava

Posted: 1 decade ago May 19, 2011, 7:14 p.m. EDT
Wow...that was so nice of you but i would like to know how to place the circle in the geometry and locate the circles...it would help me on the long run :)...
but thanks again
Wow...that was so nice of you but i would like to know how to place the circle in the geometry and locate the circles...it would help me on the long run :)... but thanks again

Sanjay Mukuntha Madhava

Posted: 1 decade ago May 19, 2011, 7:21 p.m. EDT
And there's one more question i had to ask...

How to specify the 100um distance between the holes

Thanks again
Regards
Sanjay

Thanks in advance
Sanjay

In your geometry node, you need to add circles to your square and locate them wherever them need to go. Add one circle and you can use the array feature to add multiples provided they all have a geometric sequence to them. Once you have that, you can then do a difference operation. Put the square in the first operation and the circles in the other. You should get an object with a bunch of holes.

And there's one more question i had to ask... How to specify the 100um distance between the holes Thanks again Regards Sanjay [QUOTE] [QUOTE] For my project i have to create a membrane and make perforation holes in it. I have already created the Membrane but i am unable to make the perforation holes in it... the diameter of the hole is to be 20um and distance between the holes: pitch = 100um I have attached the membrane here... It would be great if someone can help me Thanks in advance Sanjay [/QUOTE] In your geometry node, you need to add circles to your square and locate them wherever them need to go. Add one circle and you can use the array feature to add multiples provided they all have a geometric sequence to them. Once you have that, you can then do a difference operation. Put the square in the first operation and the circles in the other. You should get an object with a bunch of holes. I did the sample in the latest of ver4.1. [/QUOTE]

Posted: 1 decade ago May 20, 2011, 8:40 a.m. EDT

And there's one more question i had to ask...

How to specify the 100um distance between the holes

Thanks again
Regards
Sanjay

Thanks in advance
Sanjay

In the file I provided, if you are using the array function, you would then put in the value of 100um for either the x or y displacement. That works for both the array feature and just using the copy feature too. Set your grid spacings up so that you can see the grid markers/dots and then you can verify by eye that it is as you wanted.

[QUOTE] And there's one more question i had to ask... How to specify the 100um distance between the holes Thanks again Regards Sanjay [QUOTE] [QUOTE] For my project i have to create a membrane and make perforation holes in it. I have already created the Membrane but i am unable to make the perforation holes in it... the diameter of the hole is to be 20um and distance between the holes: pitch = 100um I have attached the membrane here... It would be great if someone can help me Thanks in advance Sanjay [/QUOTE] In your geometry node, you need to add circles to your square and locate them wherever them need to go. Add one circle and you can use the array feature to add multiples provided they all have a geometric sequence to them. Once you have that, you can then do a difference operation. Put the square in the first operation and the circles in the other. You should get an object with a bunch of holes. I did the sample in the latest of ver4.1. [/QUOTE] [/QUOTE] In the file I provided, if you are using the array function, you would then put in the value of 100um for either the x or y displacement. That works for both the array feature and just using the copy feature too. Set your grid spacings up so that you can see the grid markers/dots and then you can verify by eye that it is as you wanted.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.