Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Viewing results in a 3-d model

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone,

I'm having some difficulty isolating the results that I want to look at in a 3-d model. Below, I have some information about the model and then some questions.

I built a 3-d model based off of imaging slides. I made this model and the mesh using MIMICS/3-matics. I then imported the model within MESH. I was able to get the model to run and finish (even though it had 484,863 degrees of freedom). This does not grant me any access in Geometry to alter the model or make selections.

-I see that I can create a slice plot group within my 3-d plot group, but how do I look at the slices individually?
-I have my organs separated by their material properties, is there a way I can just look at the results of certain materials in my model? It would be ideal if I could just look at a 2-d slice of a certain height, looking only at one of the materials (really, this would be one of the structures in the model).

Any and all input will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ben

2 Replies Last Post Sep 27, 2011, 1:50 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 23, 2011, 10:19 a.m. EDT
Hi

you have the filter "plot sub node" and you can use a bolean operator to a dom==1 (i.e. for domain id = "1"), I'm not sure this applies for selection sets (yet) in V4.2, would be a nice feature ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi you have the filter "plot sub node" and you can use a bolean operator to a dom==1 (i.e. for domain id = "1"), I'm not sure this applies for selection sets (yet) in V4.2, would be a nice feature ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Sep 27, 2011, 1:50 p.m. EDT
Thanks!

I was able to:
-first set my 2d plot group (right clicked on results and selected 2d plot group)
-then, I set the surface (right clicked on 2d plot group and selected surface)
-then, I typed in: dom==# where # represented my domain of interest, into the section called "logical expression for inclusion." I didn't need to change "Element nodes to fulfill expression" in order to only view the data I wanted to see

Note: this is discussed on page 667 / 804 in the 4.0a User's Guide.
Thanks! I was able to: -first set my 2d plot group (right clicked on results and selected 2d plot group) -then, I set the surface (right clicked on 2d plot group and selected surface) -then, I typed in: dom==# where # represented my domain of interest, into the section called "logical expression for inclusion." I didn't need to change "Element nodes to fulfill expression" in order to only view the data I wanted to see Note: this is discussed on page 667 / 804 in the 4.0a User's Guide.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.