Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Difference in total flux plot and concentration plot - convection diffusion problem

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

HI,
I created a simple long tube geometry (r =0.7mm, L =850mm) in 2D axis symmetric model. I solve it first for NS in stationary mode and then use the solution to solve the species transport equation in time dependent mode. I want to plot the concetration plot at the outlet of the tube with time. So, I take the line intergration from the derived values section and compute the surface integration for " C*pi*r^2 for time untill saturation is reached.

Now the volume of the tube is known and when I integrate the area over this curve by converting the time scale into volume scale by multiplying with the flow rate (ml/sec), the value should be exactly the same as the volume of the tube. But apparently this is not the case , the value comes more than the volume.
Now when I do the same by taking total flux at the outlet instead of concentration at the outlet, I get the correct volume.
Normally, the surface integration of concentration should give the average concentration at the outlet, but I dont understand why the volume of tube comes larger in this case . Does some one has similar problem ,, any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
Pranay

0 Replies Last Post Dec 15, 2011, 5:07 a.m. EST
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Pranay Ghosh

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.