Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

semi infinte

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear Ivar

I have infinte cable (3 m) and i want to study a sector (0.165 m) to get the temperture distribution

how can i define the boundary at the infinte end?

i.e how can i tell comsol that this end of cable is too long and infinte

thank you very much

3 Replies Last Post Feb 8, 2012, 8:07 a.m. EST

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 7, 2012, 4:49 a.m. EST
Hi,

I am not Ivar, but this is a forum and not meant for directly adressing specific people. You also enhance your chance of getting response by talking to the forum.

Regarding your question: This appears to be a typical case for a 2D study. This will automatically treat the cable like it was infinitely long and allow you to investigate the cross section.

Cheers
Edgar
Hi, I am not Ivar, but this is a forum and not meant for directly adressing specific people. You also enhance your chance of getting response by talking to the forum. Regarding your question: This appears to be a typical case for a 2D study. This will automatically treat the cable like it was infinitely long and allow you to investigate the cross section. Cheers Edgar

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 7, 2012, 1:14 p.m. EST
Dear Sir

I am so sorry but i didn't meant to ask specific person ( but Ivar has replied my questions since 4 months)

regarding my question

i didn't describe my problem correctly

i have infiniite cable and i don't want to get cross section, i want to study a specific length from the whole length

how can i define the infint length at the boundries?
Dear Sir I am so sorry but i didn't meant to ask specific person ( but Ivar has replied my questions since 4 months) regarding my question i didn't describe my problem correctly i have infiniite cable and i don't want to get cross section, i want to study a specific length from the whole length how can i define the infint length at the boundries?

Posted: 1 decade ago Feb 8, 2012, 8:07 a.m. EST

I don't know if there is a good solution to this. You might check whether 'infinite elements' can address the issue. I never used that so far.

But I want insist a bit on the 2D approach. If the following prerequisites are fulfilled:

- The cable is infinitely long, i.e. much longer than the 0.165 m you are interested in
- The structure of the cable is constant along its length
- The environment outside is constant along the cable

Then you will find constant values along the cable and you can simplify everything to 2D, no?

Cheers
Edgar
I don't know if there is a good solution to this. You might check whether 'infinite elements' can address the issue. I never used that so far. But I want insist a bit on the 2D approach. If the following prerequisites are fulfilled: - The cable is infinitely long, i.e. much longer than the 0.165 m you are interested in - The structure of the cable is constant along its length - The environment outside is constant along the cable Then you will find constant values along the cable and you can simplify everything to 2D, no? Cheers Edgar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.