Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Memory

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi
I would like to make the calculation speed up. In order to do so, I installed memories (changed 2GB to 24GB) in my computer. But it looks like the speed did not change so much. I would appreciate it if you could tell me how to make the calculation speed up.
Is it pointless to install much memory to improve the calculation speed?

4 Replies Last Post Jul 3, 2012, 5:18 p.m. EDT
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 28, 2012, 10:05 a.m. EDT
Hi

if you have a 64 bit OS there should be nothing to do. But not all models speed up that much, its particularly for larger ones. But you must also have a PC that can exchange data between the CPU and the RAM fast enough to really get a speed kick

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if you have a 64 bit OS there should be nothing to do. But not all models speed up that much, its particularly for larger ones. But you must also have a PC that can exchange data between the CPU and the RAM fast enough to really get a speed kick -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jun 28, 2012, 5:35 p.m. EDT
Upgrade to faster CPU/more cores. Faster RAM also seems to help.
Upgrade to faster CPU/more cores. Faster RAM also seems to help.

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 3, 2012, 5:16 p.m. EDT
Thank you for your comment. I will try to check if my computer can do it or not. Because our license is NFL, I can use another computer which can communicate between CPU and RAM.
Thank you.
Thank you for your comment. I will try to check if my computer can do it or not. Because our license is NFL, I can use another computer which can communicate between CPU and RAM. Thank you.

Posted: 1 decade ago Jul 3, 2012, 5:18 p.m. EDT
Thank you for your comment. Because our license is NFL, I will look for suitable machine in our department too.
Thank you.
Thank you for your comment. Because our license is NFL, I will look for suitable machine in our department too. Thank you.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.