Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to calculate optical modes in 3D?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello, I would like to ask a question about calculating optical modes confined in a semiconductor cavity in a 3-dimensional space.

Assume a semiconductor structure having top and bottom DBRs (Please see attached figure). The structure is quite similar to typical VCSELs, but here the entire structure is in the air. I am trying to calculate the optical modes confined vertically between the DBRs, and horizontally by the index contrast between air and semiconductor.

Given the refractive index of every layer, I was wondering whether I can obtain the field profile of such optical modes in 3D. I guess reducing the symmetry will be more computationally efficient, but here I prefer to obtain the 3D spatial distribution of field profiles of resonant modes.

Are there any modules/suggestions to deal with such a structure? I will appreciate any help!

2 Replies Last Post Dec 13, 2021, 1:25 p.m. EST

Posted: 2 years ago Dec 13, 2021, 12:46 a.m. EST

Your structure is cylindrically symmetric. So why you don't want to reduce the dimension, e.g. by resorting to the symmetry. In this way, at least in this case, it is possible to accurately find all the modes of the system. Of course, you need to consider modes with nonzero azimuthal orders.

-------------------
ZHANG, Pu
School of Physics,
Huazhong University of Science and Technology
Your structure is cylindrically symmetric. So why you don't want to reduce the dimension, e.g. by resorting to the symmetry. In this way, at least in this case, it is possible to accurately find all the modes of the system. Of course, you need to consider modes with nonzero azimuthal orders.

Posted: 2 years ago Dec 13, 2021, 1:25 p.m. EST

Thank you so much for your reply! Right now my example has a circular cross-section, but I would like to extend this concept to asymmetric shapes other than circle. So I was trying to find a way that doesn't resort to reducing the symmetry.

Thank you so much for your reply! Right now my example has a circular cross-section, but I would like to extend this concept to asymmetric shapes other than circle. So I was trying to find a way that doesn't resort to reducing the symmetry.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.