Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Static Analysis with Inertial Relief Option

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear Users, let me introduce to you: my name is Gabriele and I work as Associate Professor at University of Salento (Lecce, Italy). Our legacy is based on Abaqus and Ansys for all kinds of FEM analysis but we are considering to migrate to Comsol and I have been identified as expert to evaluate this possibility. Currently, I'm having some issue to find the command/procedure to solve a static structural problem with the so called 'inertia relief ON' option in Ansys. It consists in finding an acceleration field to balance the external loads (rather than balancing them through forces and moments at BC). Could you please help me to set this solver option? Thank you in advance for your support. Regards, Gabriele

1 Reply Last Post Jul 17, 2023, 11:12 a.m. EDT
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 months ago Jul 17, 2023, 11:12 a.m. EDT

A built-in option for inertia relief analysis will be available in version 6.2, to be released later this year.

Today, you can do it manually in different ways.

I attach one example of a quick implementation. It uses 6 extra unknowns for the translational and rotational accelerations, and then solves for the 6 extra equations stating that the reaction forces of the rigid body constraints are zero.

Note that this method does not scale well with model size, so it is applicable only to relatively small models.

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
A built-in option for inertia relief analysis will be available in version 6.2, to be released later this year. Today, you can do it manually in different ways. I attach one example of a quick implementation. It uses 6 extra unknowns for the translational and rotational accelerations, and then solves for the 6 extra equations stating that the reaction forces of the rigid body constraints are zero. Note that this method does not scale well with model size, so it is applicable only to relatively small models.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.