Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

dielectric properties of ice

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I am modelling ice between two nonparallel capacitor plates to model its dielectric properties variation at different frequencies.
I am using sweeping the frequency in the stationary studies.
Unfortunately i m unable to resolve this problem,

Failed to evaluate variable.
- Variable: mat.epsilonr22
- Geometry: 1
- Domain: 7 8 9 10 28 30
- Variable: mod1.es.epsilonryy
- Defined as: mat.epsilonr22
- Variable: mod1.es.Dy
- Defined as: ((epsilon0_const*mod1.es.epsilonryy)*mod1.es.Ey)
Failed to evaluate expression.
- Expression: d(((-mod1.es.Dx*test(mod1.Vx)-mod1.es.Dy*test(mod1.Vy))*mod1.es.d)*(dvol),{test@1})

Please help me in resolving this!

2 Replies Last Post Nov 29, 2012, 9:34 a.m. EST

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 28, 2012, 11:15 a.m. EST
Hi,

please decribe your model/the purpose of your investigation a little bit more detailed!

If you want to survey the dielectric properties of ice, COMSOL might not be the right tool. There was a thread a couple of weeks ago, where we discussed that it is necessary to provide material properties in oder to get a solution. The material properties can NOT be calculated.

Set the material property permittivity of your "ice" region to 1 and you will get a solution, but I am not sure if this solution helps you anything...

The other point is: you sweep the frequency in stationary studies? Wouldn't you have to use frequency domain studies in order to see the influence of different frequencies?

As I wrote in the beginning, detail you problem! I don't think I understood what you are doing.
Hi, please decribe your model/the purpose of your investigation a little bit more detailed! If you want to survey the dielectric properties of ice, COMSOL might not be the right tool. There was a thread a couple of weeks ago, where we discussed that it is necessary to provide material properties in oder to get a solution. The material properties can NOT be calculated. Set the material property permittivity of your "ice" region to 1 and you will get a solution, but I am not sure if this solution helps you anything... The other point is: you sweep the frequency in stationary studies? Wouldn't you have to use frequency domain studies in order to see the influence of different frequencies? As I wrote in the beginning, detail you problem! I don't think I understood what you are doing.

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Nov 29, 2012, 9:34 a.m. EST
Hi

if you have nice, detailed measurements, you can get COMSOL to adapt the material parameters to the experimental results and then extract the derived material property from there.
But you are right if you have no other values, you need to define all material properties to get your simulation done by COMSOL

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if you have nice, detailed measurements, you can get COMSOL to adapt the material parameters to the experimental results and then extract the derived material property from there. But you are right if you have no other values, you need to define all material properties to get your simulation done by COMSOL -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.