Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Zero stress boundary

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to figure out how to model and find the motional eigenfrequencies of a totally free cylinder. That is the requirement as I see it is to have zero stress on all surfaces while still allowing displacements.

Setting all boundaries to free gives modes that have stress on the surfaces, and fixing an internal point helps but still give a solution with finite stress on the surfaces. I have seen mentions of "sharp edge effects" in the forum. Is this my issue do you think?

Thank you
Andreas

2 Replies Last Post Dec 17, 2012, 5:36 a.m. EST
Nagi Elabbasi Facebook Reality Labs

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 13, 2012, 11:58 a.m. EST
Hi Andreas,

The stresses that you get for the zero frequency rigid body modes should be very small numerical round-off values. Compare against stresses in the first non-rigid body mode.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering
Hi Andreas, The stresses that you get for the zero frequency rigid body modes should be very small numerical round-off values. Compare against stresses in the first non-rigid body mode. Nagi Elabbasi Veryst Engineering

Posted: 1 decade ago Dec 17, 2012, 5:36 a.m. EST

The stresses that you get for the zero frequency rigid body modes should be very small numerical round-off values. Compare against stresses in the first non-rigid body mode.

Thank you for your answer. I indeed find modes that have a imaginary eigenvalues s.a. -2.55108e11i that seem to only show numerical round-off values of stress while still having a reasonable displacement profile for the mechanical mode. Does this mean I can trust the lambda = -i*2 pi f and f ~ 40 GHz for this mode?

Thank you.
[QUOTE] The stresses that you get for the zero frequency rigid body modes should be very small numerical round-off values. Compare against stresses in the first non-rigid body mode. [/QUOTE] Thank you for your answer. I indeed find modes that have a imaginary eigenvalues s.a. -2.55108e11i that seem to only show numerical round-off values of stress while still having a reasonable displacement profile for the mechanical mode. Does this mean I can trust the lambda = -i*2 pi f and f ~ 40 GHz for this mode? Thank you.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.