Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

COMSOL Vs ANSYS

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi there. Can anyone tell me what is the strong and weak point for both COMSOL and ANSYS respectively?

2 Replies Last Post Jan 17, 2014, 11:38 a.m. EST
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago Mar 1, 2013, 3:27 a.m. EST
Hi

I cannot give you relative ratios, as my knowledge of "modern Ansys" is not there any longer, that is >10 years old ;)
But I can give you the + why I have chosen COMSOL and dropped Ansys and Nastran.

1) real multi-physics in a common environment, with a new, modern and excellent methodological approach
2) access to the underlying equations
3) strong academic background (sometimes I'm missing more engineering oriented efficiency approaches in COMSOL, but its coming steadily ;)
4) the price is interesting (I do not know about academic prices ;)
5) Issue from a (still) "small" and private company, with high skilled, accessible personnel (and they are not yet? overrun by managers and lawyers)

Issues I have with COMSOL, not the tool, but it's renommé:
I have institutional clients that requests models delivered in Ansys, respectively Nastran. Now I must subcontract someone to make these model, on top of mine, this is the cost to pay. But these clients are not requesting "multi-physics" for those two tools, so globally I'm still a winner ;)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I cannot give you relative ratios, as my knowledge of "modern Ansys" is not there any longer, that is >10 years old ;) But I can give you the + why I have chosen COMSOL and dropped Ansys and Nastran. 1) real multi-physics in a common environment, with a new, modern and excellent methodological approach 2) access to the underlying equations 3) strong academic background (sometimes I'm missing more engineering oriented efficiency approaches in COMSOL, but its coming steadily ;) 4) the price is interesting (I do not know about academic prices ;) 5) Issue from a (still) "small" and private company, with high skilled, accessible personnel (and they are not yet? overrun by managers and lawyers) Issues I have with COMSOL, not the tool, but it's renommé: I have institutional clients that requests models delivered in Ansys, respectively Nastran. Now I must subcontract someone to make these model, on top of mine, this is the cost to pay. But these clients are not requesting "multi-physics" for those two tools, so globally I'm still a winner ;) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago Jan 17, 2014, 11:38 a.m. EST
Hi
COMSOL has a capability to insert equation, and programing through MATLAB. I was wondering if there is such capability in ANSYS-FLUENT?
Thanks,
Giti
Hi COMSOL has a capability to insert equation, and programing through MATLAB. I was wondering if there is such capability in ANSYS-FLUENT? Thanks, Giti

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.