Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Inquiry about how to put constraint on PDE dependent variable

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear All,

I am carrying a simulation of 3 coupled PDEs (coefficient form PDEs).

One of the PDE (Diffusion-drift equation) is of a dependent variable representing the ion concentration which can't be negative according to its physical definition.

So I am wondering is there a way to implement a constraint of that PDE that will prevent the dependent variable from going negative.

Thanks in advance for your kindly help.

1 Reply Last Post Nov 11, 2014, 9:30 p.m. EST

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 9 years ago Nov 11, 2014, 9:30 p.m. EST
In addition, the simulation will fail if a single point on the mesh is of a negative ion concentration. (I believe it is because the coupled equation could not converge in this scenario.) Once a negative ion concentration presents, the time-step of the PDE solver will keep on decreasing till the failure message displayed.

Such a failure seems could not be overcame by tuning the damping factor of the newton's method.

My current solution of preventing the negative ion concentration from happening is to add a background initial ion concentration for the corresponding PDE. However, doing so is not physical.

Could any one with the same experience advise on such an issue.
In addition, the simulation will fail if a single point on the mesh is of a negative ion concentration. (I believe it is because the coupled equation could not converge in this scenario.) Once a negative ion concentration presents, the time-step of the PDE solver will keep on decreasing till the failure message displayed. Such a failure seems could not be overcame by tuning the damping factor of the newton's method. My current solution of preventing the negative ion concentration from happening is to add a background initial ion concentration for the corresponding PDE. However, doing so is not physical. Could any one with the same experience advise on such an issue.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.